Author Topic: Been Here A While...  (Read 4434 times)

Offline Mixbe

• 18+
  • Silver Member
Been Here A While...
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »
So when I joined this forum, I was in early secondary school. I used to read the comments from the University students and think "Oh, I'm sure I'll have kicked this habit by then".

Now I'm into my second year of Uni, and every time I come back to SH it's worse than before.

Am I the only one who sets myself these confident deadlines, only to watch them fly by? And has anyone got any tips for picking yourself up afterwards? or just hope for the future.
I don't want to sleep. It will only bring the day around quicker.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: Been Here A While...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:41:13 PM »
Hey, there are lots of people who have been able to make SH a thing of the past. However, this doesn't just 'happen' but might need the proper support to achieve this. Support comes in many shapes and sizes, and if you're finding these episodes worsening, would you consider getting some help whilst still at university?
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:34:33 AM »
I haven't hurt myself for six or seven months now. Usually it's about now that I start feeling like doing it again, but so far so good. I hurt myself for 12 years, so a long time and it's a difficult behaviour to reign in, but it is possible. I was only able to do it because I had the correct support though, which has included therapy, medication and someone to check in with occasionally. Have you got anything like that? Universities have good support services. Perhaps it would be worth accessing them? We're always here to talk to. :hug2:
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Twilight

• 18+
  • First posts
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 02:00:32 AM »
I was free from SH for about 4 years up until now - so there is hope! The best counselling I had was while I was at uni so definitely see what services are available there! I'd love to go back and get more sessions.
For me, the depression worsened, my 'normal people' coping strategies weren't working and the SH just crept back up on me without me thinking about it. I think you just need to stay one step ahead of it so it doesn't take over you (once you're in a strong enough position obviously!)- I'm saying this now, but obviously not followed this advice myself so I know it's easier said than done!
Set small deadlines- easily achievable then you'll be more motivated by your success. Xxx