Author Topic: Menstrual mood swings...??  (Read 5334 times)

Offline millie

• 18+
  • Silver Member
Menstrual mood swings...??
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:19:09 AM »

:trig:

OK, I'm not sure if I've put this in the right place...

Over the last few months, well, probably over a year I think, I have come to realise that my very lowest moods are when I am due to come on my period, and the first few days of it.  When I say due to come on, I actually mean for at least a week and sometimes two before it starts.  But it happens every month, to the point that I really lose the will do to do anything, I sit at home and cry, and isolate myself, and feel horrendous.  I desperately want to hurt myself, to the point that sometimes I feel suicidal, though I have so far managed to hold off.  I am desperate not to hurt myself again...  (Apart from very superficially, I have decided that doesn't count)

I have a GP appointment tomorrow afternoon, I really want to tell her all this, about the stuff related to my periods, but I'm scared she'll just think I'm being stupid or something.  I would never believe the change that could happen if it wasn't happening to me!!

I used to be a mess all the time, now it is just around my periods, and I really want to be able to stop that as well. 

Does it sound crazy??

Thanks!!

Millie

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
Re: Menstrual mood swings...??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »

Try vitamin B6 and Evening Primrose Oil

I used to get suicidal every month and my GP and Psych put me on vitamin B6

Hash

Offline katj

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:10:03 PM »
I used to take evening primrose oil but was told to stop cos it messed up the antidepressant i was on. Was eventually put on the pill - is one that works best for severe pmt.

Offline millie

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »
Thanks.

Saw my GP yesterday, am going to take fluoxetine for a bit.  She discussed B6 with me but because at the moment my symptoms get so very severe, and I also have some other very difficult stuff going on as well, I chose the fluoxetine.  I don't want to take it forever, will try and move to the B6 in the end, but right now I do think this is the right choice. 

Perhaps if I could get some support from the Mental Health people about my other stuff I'd have kept off it, but hey ho.  At least I am lucky to have a very supportive GP, for which I am grateful.

Millie xxx