Author Topic: Books that you have found to help  (Read 103707 times)

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
Re: Books that you have found to help
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 06:21:44 PM »
that sounds great feebee!  :hug1:

Incase it hasnt already been mentioned, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath is such a classic.
Also, if you like poetry check out, her collection called Ariel. Also, anne sexton's 'all my pretty ones' is brilliant
xx
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline aurora

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »
Incase it hasnt already been mentioned, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath is such a classic.

i am in love with this book.
i read it all the time. My copy is falling apart.
Watch me fault her, you're living like a disaster

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 04:19:07 PM »
Ive just finished reading 'get me out of here' rachel reiland, following a reccomendation on here, and i really enjoyed it. definately reccomend it for any other BPD sufferers out there
x
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Thrin

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • <blank page>
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 11:01:27 PM »
I haven't read that many books on this that haven't been condescending or simplistic, but A Bright Red Scream is good. Also +lots for The Bell Jar. Everyone in the whole world should read that book, whether they know about depression or not.

I hated Prozac Nation. I've never read a book where the main character/voice is so annoyingly self-obsessed in a very 'woe is me' tone. Terrible book.
And this is not my face
And this is not my life
And there is not a single thing here
I can recognise

Offline pohelia

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • picked all my weeds but kept the flowers
    • it's myspace innit!
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 01:54:07 AM »
personally I prefer Prozac Nation to the Bell Jar. Somehow the Bell Jar just doesn't get the overwhelming-ness of depression....however I do think Wurtzel is a likely candidate for a BPD label. The sequal to Prozac Nation (More, Now, Again) is also fab
aim for the moon, if you miss, at least you'll land amongst the stars

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 06:38:07 PM »
i can see why people hate Wurtzel, she can be so annoying self obsessed, but i also kind of love the way she portrays things, she does get across the overwhelming nature of depression, and also obviously, how selfish it can sometimes make you
x

Offline nakmuay

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
  • to the end...
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 04:20:58 AM »
I've just finished reading Wurtzels 2 books. I thought they were fantastic. I found it very real. I agree RG, how it makes you very aware of your own selfishness, which i myself didn't realise I was until I took a step back.

I also loved "An uncommon dialogue" by Deborah ....? Just about this womens journey through therapy. Was brilliant. I gave it to my therapist to read. When i was reading it, it was like hearing my own therapist talking to me cos she used to say a lot of the same things to me. Great book.
Its better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation

Those who lack courage will always find a philosphy to justify it

Offline Eloise

• Haven
  • Usually here
  • i'm not designed for this world
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 01:35:20 PM »
currently looking at which of these my county has in libraries xxx

Gofeen

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 03:40:15 AM »
I agree Torey Hayden's books are brilliant. While I've never gone through the traumas her children have there are elements in all her books which could have been me. I was a teacher myself until 3-4 years agao but I can honestly say I was never as sensitive as she is.

Gofeen

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 03:43:49 AM »
P.S. I want to read A Bright Red Scream. I'm going to get it from Amazon tomorrow.