Author Topic: Motivation  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Motivation
« on: January 20, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »
I've always been fairly self motivated, always managing to get things done for the most part and really tried hard with mental health stuff. I'd have a bad day sometimes but it wasn't a big deal because it would just be the odd crappy day that everyone gets and it would pass. Nowadays though I feel like I've lost my motivation. Even on my worst days I'd be able to kick myself in the arse but for some reason I can't do it anymore. I'm not saying that it's entirely due to the pandemic but it has a huge impact and yes, the vaccine is being rolled out, yes, there's an end in sight but I don't think that things will ever be truly ok for many years. So now I'm stuck in this mindset of well, why bother? I'm exhausted from the constant effort that I have to put in to doing the simplest tasks and for what? None of it matters.

I don't feel depressed, I don't feel much of anything a lot of the time. So I don't know why I'm struggling with motivation so much to the point where I get upset at even the thought of the simplest tasks such as getting dressed or getting in the shower. It takes me all day to get anything done if I actually manage at all. Why is this happening and how do I get out of it? I don't understand why I can't do it, I should just be able to force myself to do things but I can't. What's stopping me? I don't get it.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Motivation
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 12:16:36 PM »
Motivation is tricky. It is something I really struggled with when well and poorly. It is especially bad at the moment but I am depressed. Have you tried writing things down and then cross them off as you do them? It doesn't help me but it does help others. I have a pa that comes in and helps me with tasks. Without her things simply don't get done.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

Offline jackgrillo

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Totally King of Rainbow!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »
I don't know what the answer is, but I wanted to say that I'm struggling with this too. I, like you, am generally quite self-motivated. At the moment I'm dragging myself out of bed for work at the last minute, and generally not very motivated to do anything.

I guess, what i mean is that you're not alone. I'm sorry, I can't provide any wise words of how to magic up some motivation, but if you find any, let me know!
:13328: <-- gregory
:13328: <-- that one was given to me by chihiro

I like walking in the rain because then nobody can see me cry

Offline Turtle

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 06:28:46 PM »
I agree that you're not alone! Everyone I know is having more bad days than good in terms of 'productivity' and is having to put in an extra effort to keep going with the little things. I've been trying to challenge myself to actually get dressed for work each day because it does make me feel more put together - but even so I don't do it till mid-morning. Being inside so much isn't really healthy and it makes us lethargic and it has been such a b***** weird and difficult year. You're not alone and now is the time to give yourself a break for letting the little things slide.

There are some things that are good to keep up because when we do them we (can) feel a bit brighter. What these are specifically might differ from person to person I think - I know for me keeping my hair and teeth clean makes me feel so much more human. What helps me to find motivation to keep things up is working out why they're important to me. It's silly but I can't motivate myself to eat well by thinking about 'health' but I know it helps my skin - so if I ever think I don't need to bother with a good dinner and will just eat lots of crisps, I remember that I want my skin to feel good rather than berating myself about being healthy.

I think it's also important to work out what is truly important too - forget the rest, the most important thing is that you are looking after yourself in the way that's best for you. Don't overload yourself with things and take small steps - e.g. back up meals that are healthy and easy, having a sink wash rather than a full shower, getting dressed but into very comfy clothes.

All that being said, I think it's really important to reduce your priorities to the absolute essentials. These are such strange times and everyone is feeling bleh. I think it's been going on long enough now that everyone is worn out. It's okay if things aren't perfectly up together. :hug2:

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 08:13:31 PM »
Thank you  :hug1: :hug2:

I'm not alone it seems. Maybe it is largely due to the covid crap, I know there's a lot of 'covid fatigue' going on but there's something else going on for me too. I can't explain it but it's there. The pandemic is going to be an issue for a while though so I can't carry on like this.

I'm managing to get shopping done but that's not for my sake, that's because my rabbits need to eat. So I get what your saying about finding different ways to motivate myself, perhaps I could figure something out for the rest of things? I think a part of this could be a lack of structure and routines and, as posted in the other room, I have health issues that remain unresolved due to the covid BS.

I dunno, this all feels impossible.  ::-\:
Rabbits are better than people