Author Topic: New to therapy and help  (Read 7280 times)

Offline LEH

• First posts
New to therapy and help
« on: November 23, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum, not sure if I'm posting in the right place.  I've been self harming for many years, nothing major I have never put myself in danger.  I've been married for 10 years but never told my husband until about 4 years ago.  He's be very supportive and let me deal with it my own way. But I am not at the point where he said I need help.  I need to phone the Dr's and make an apt... but the thought of picking up the phone and admitting / dealing with it is making me feel sick.... I don't know if i can do it.  Any suggestions please? Thank you x

Offline purplelaces

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: New to therapy and help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:27:53 PM »
Would your husband go with you?
Even if he came and sat in the waiting room so you are not sat waiting on your own.
Its a big step your taking, (I'm assuming you are wanting to see the gp about the s/h?) but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

The last time I went to see the GP about it I just sat down and just said I've started SHing again. Although I had a history of it this was a new GP s I had moved house. I found it easier to just come out with it and let them process what I had just said.

Do you see your GP often or have you not got a relationship with them?

:hug2: your taking a massive step so its OK to be nervous, scared, worried, but hopefully once it is done you will feel relief.
"M..o...o...n spells peanut butter and jelly"
"life is a lemon and I want my money back!"

Offline LEH

• First posts
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:01:02 PM »
He would come with me, but I don't know if I want to go on my own.  I've seen my GP about general stuff, she's very straight to the point no messing type of lady. Think she would be understanding but practical. 

I'm not an open person, can't think of anything worse than telling someone face to face... even typing this makes me feel sick. 

Thank you for your reply xxx

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
 :welcome:
im in a similar boat re: talking to a GP. I dont have a fixed one so i'm at a loss as to what to do right now.
However, next month, my best friend is coming to MIND with me. Hopefully they will be able to advise/help.

Is this something perhaps, that you could consider? xx xx

Offline LEH

• First posts
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 03:03:03 AM »
I never thought about Mind.  Can you just drop in there? Really hope they can help you.  I just can't stop feeling sick at the thought of going to speak to someone x

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »
I think you can just drop in there.
You could say you're not feeling up to talking just yet ... but want to find out what they can offer?
THat's my plan anyway ;D xx xx

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
If you will find it too hard to tell them outright do you think that you could write a note like 'ive been s/hing for a long time but I think that I need some support with it now'???
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline LEH

• First posts
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »
Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate them.  My husband would come with me in a shot, I just don't know if I would want him to tbh.  :sb:

Offline Harvey

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
If you feel you don't want your husband to go with you, then be honest, maybe tell him that you feel you need to do this on your own so that you feel more achievement by doing so.
Hakuna Matata

Offline LEH

• First posts
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 11:38:43 PM »
I still haven't gone!  Just can't face it yet.   :no: