Author Topic: Question about MIUs *Mentions SH*  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Question about MIUs *Mentions SH*
« on: May 31, 2015, 12:00:40 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything via the search....

Sometimes when I hurt myself and need stitches I try and go to a smaller hospital rather than the busy one. This one only has a minor injuries and no A&E or majors dept. When I go there they often tell me that they can't treat any SH as they can only deal with SH at majors/A&E. Is this correct? It seems a bit crap to have to go all the way in to the city and wait for hours just for a few stitches when it could easily be done locally at the MIU. I don't even need or want to talk to the psychiatric people eithier since I've never found them helpful. Don't get me wrong, the staff at the local MIU were lovely, it just seems a bit stupid to have to go to the main hospital, which is miles away, just because it's SH.
If someone could clear this up for me so I have a better idea of where to go for future injures I'd be very grateful.  :)
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: Question about MIUs *Mentions SH*
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »
Minors usually see to really minor sh, theoretically if it's deep enough to penetrate past the top layer, then it's to be seen at a&e, not minors. If you arrive by ambulance they won't see you for sh, as it's likely to be more serious anyway.

The reasoning is simple, in self harm the physical injury is only part of the issue - it's considered necessary to be seen by people who are able to make sure that you're not in any further danger to yourself at that point, and hopefully put some further support in your direction if required. MIUs cannot provide that extra support, referral or assessment, (wanted or not), and that is why their guidelines are different from minor accident injuries. 
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
My local MIU won't treat me for SH either. They said it's because they don't have psych liaison services.
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
Yeah, I can see why they need to make sure I'm not a danger to myself, that makes sense (even if it is a pain in the bum!)

So what sort of SH injury would class as very minor but needing treatment?  Would it be for something like steri strips, minor scalds and that sort of injury? I wouldn't go to MIU if it was just a few scratches so what would I go to MIU for?
Sorry for the stupid questions, I just need to make sure I go to the right place.

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »
I seem to have had different experiences. My miu have treated my sh on numerous occasions, when in hindsight it hasn't been particularly minor (requiring significant stitches).
Usually as long as the they are sure they can determine the extent of the injury, and there's no risk to vital structures they'll treat it. Sometimes they have decided the injory itself needs further assessment and sent me to a&e for that and other times they have treated the injury itself and then sent me to a&e for mh assessment (but I skip the triage and Dr stage). On one occasion, due to circumstances, they even made a referral to crisis team for me.

I guess by reading this thread I have been quite lucky, and my miu seem to strike a good balance between grating the physical injury whilst not neglecting the psychological aspect.
*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 09:46:32 PM »
Thanks for replying. It does seem you've been lucky with your local MIU. I seriously wish I could avoid going to the main hospital but it seems to be a waste of time going to my local one for SH.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 03:05:39 AM »
Round here it seems to be pot luck. 

Locally I have a Walk In Centre that won't touch anything,  an Urgent Care Centre that doubles as A&E triage that may decide to suture as long as they only have to use one vile of lignacaine/send you to minors A&E or sometimes Majors A&E - but it seems to vary based on the person assessing rather than the injury. I've been sent to majors for something less than another time they sutured in the UCC,  it all depends on the experience and willingness to suture of the person deciding.

It might be worth contacting them via email to ask them what their guidelines on wounds are.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”