Author Topic: Travelling to the USA after being sectioned  (Read 33719 times)

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
Travelling to the USA after being sectioned
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »
I have no immediate plans to travel to the USA but I have travelled there previously and really want to go back...when i went last time i had no MH problems but since then I have been diagnosed with schizoeffective disorder a possible personality disorder and I have been sectioned... does anyone know if it is still possible to travel there?

thanx  :cake:
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline babylon5

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Travelling to the USA after being sectioned
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30:01 AM »
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3745.html

under MH it says

What if the applicant has a history of harmful or violent behavior?

Applicants with any history of harmful or violent behavior resulting in injury to people or animals, or harm to inanimate objects must provide information that will allow the panel physician to determine if the behavior was related to a psychiatric or medical problem, or to drug or alcohol use. Harmful behavior includes attempted suicide or self-harm, no matter how minor in nature.

What if the applicant has been treated or hospitalized for psychiatric or mental illness, or alcohol or drug abuse?

Applicants treated or hospitalized for psychiatric or mental illness or alcohol or drug abuse must present written certification including the diagnosis, duration of treatment rendered, and prognosis.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3745.html#_What_if_the_9

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:44:52 AM »
OK thank you... xx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline sarahlouise

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • How I search for my soul rescue
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »
^^ the above looks to be for permanent immigration. I'm leaving for the US on holiday on Monday and as a British citizen all you need is an ESTA, which is an electronic approval document that, as far as memory serves, doesn't require any big MH background check. So if it's just a holiday you're after then you should be fine :)
"I don't feel like smiling."
"You're English, dear: fake it."
- Easy Virtue

Offline JCat

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »
I haven't been sectioned but have quite an extensive mh record and I've travelled to the US since for work and have had no issues. I'm sure you'll be fine :)