Author Topic: New job nursing auxiliary *SH occupational health  (Read 6492 times)

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
New job nursing auxiliary *SH occupational health
« on: October 16, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »
So recently I managed to get a job as a nursing auxillary and I have got to do the usual occupational health form. This is concerning me because I have a history (some quite recent) of self harm and I am under the cmht and I am concerned this will prevent me from keeping the possition. I know everything is confidential when it comes to my doctors but I'm worried about how much they will have to know. Some questions are pretty specific and I won't be able to skate around them :( anyone have experience of this? I need my mind put at risk. If my mental health stops me from doing a job I really want I will be so upset :(

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: New job nursing auxiliary *SH occupational health
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 12:20:32 AM »
best to be completely honest if only that if you a blip it will be easier to have time off work.

Many employers are sympathetic to people with mental health issues and can be understanding.  It may mean however that you have interviews with occ health and input from your consultant if only to see that the job wont be too stressful for you.

And its brilliant that you are fit for paid work!!

well done!!   :creature:
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
Providing that any mh problems are not going to prevent you from being able to do the job, or that the job isnt going to  make the problems worse then there is no reason for them stop you working. Self harm shouldnt stop you as long as its hidden and not in danger of infection/won't be worsen by the stress of work.

I have had multiple dealings with occ health as a hca and as a student and so long as Ive been functioning ok Ive been allowed to work. Actually I've found them more supportive than anything. There have been times when Ive been prevented from working but its when Ive been a complete and utter wreck and realistically not capable of it (ie I couldnt compose myself for long enough to make it to/from work or through a shift).

I would be honest......if you're not (and they can ask for information from your GP) you can lose your job for dishonesty. They are not there to try and stop you, they are there primarily to support and  enable people to work effectively and to the best of their ability, saying your unfit is a last resort.

Go show them what you can do :)
*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:32 PM »
I agree with everyone else. I found that being honest with occ health has lead to me regularly seeing a doctor of theirs to make sure I'm coping with work, that there's nothing work can do to make things easier for me etc. They're very understanding and sympathetic and they only tell your boss stuff on a need to know basis.

Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »
Hey.

I was a NA in a hospital for a while. I'd been sectioned within the same year and had recent history of self-harm among other things. It was fine. Occupational health were happy as long as I was stable enough to carry out my duties. They arranged reasonable adjustments for me ( no/few night shifts etc) and helped out with phased return after I'd been sick with MH stuff for a while.

It's great that you've got the job. Be honest and it's very likely that it'll be a-ok. :hug2:
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 01:48:32 AM »
Thank you so much everyoneyouhavg put my mind at rest. I love you all x