Author Topic: suicide at newyear BPD  (Read 6552 times)

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
suicide at newyear BPD
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »
I dunno where to put this so please move if needed.

I just wondered if anyone ever feels more suicidal at new year? I have been diagnsoed with borderline personallity dissorder and always feel worse at newyear and end up v suicidal. i dont think this has anything to do with anti climax as i hate new year and dont celebrate it and get excited. i just feel awful instead. Any thoughts on this would be welcome and perhaps any advise on how to control this. One day i'll make a mistake. and actually end up dead.

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: suicide at newyear BPD
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:04:23 PM »
Xmas is my trigger and january xx
Only those who dare, truly live.
- Ruth P. Freedman

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
New Year can be hard for a lot of people, but it doesn't mean that you can't get through it safely if you take the proper precautions to stay safe. It seems to get a bit easier as you get older (I've plenty of experience at getting older!).
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »
what are these precautions? I don't even know why this happens. it happens earlier every year.

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:34:07 AM »
Its like seasonal blues.  Have you support? Xx
Only those who dare, truly live.
- Ruth P. Freedman

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »
no useful advice but your not alone i start to struggle in nov every year i hate xmas, new year and jan and tend to really struggle. Then in summer months i am completely normal (well maybe ::P:)

Maybe you can plan some good distractions in advance?
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline catapult

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
I ended up in A&E one year, it was Dec 30th, so i got out new years eve morning. Anyway, when i was in there the nurse who was treating me asked me why id done what id done. I said new year, always does this to me, she said why?! Its just another day. She sounded frustrated and i never forgot it.

Its just another day. I understand how intolerable the emotions can be. I suffer with BPD too and i know where youre coming from. i know its hard to be derailed once on the path to destruction, and that the intensity of the pain is simply too much to bear. But...

Try and treat it like any other day. Its just another day. Put a plan or support in place. Structure the few days over that period so you know where you are and what youre doing.  Its one night to get through and then its all over for a another year. Youve gotten through all the new years previously, so im hoping you can get through this one too.

Hope this is of some help. Stay strong  :hug2:
Last cut: 10/03/14
Last OD: 20/12/13
Last purge: 01/03/14
Id rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

NHS Direct 0845 4647   Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text Sams 07725909090

crystal.star

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »
I often feel worse at New Year, Christmas I can cope with but New Year upsets me a lot for some reason.   One New Year I got taken into hospital on New Year's Eve because my psychiatrist didn't think I was safe to be at home.  I think New Year is a time where you reflect over things a lot, where you are, what you want to be and like me if you are lonely it can just seem worse somehow.  My psych said its a bad time for a lot of his patients.  Think you just have to keep yourself distracted and do nice things and be good to yourself.

Offline is_it_true

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
i too have bpd. a disorder that affects you 24/7! weather it be christmas or even your birthday,which was a huge trigger for me this year.
do you have specific expectations of yourself around this time of year, or do others pressure you and give you impression you have to live upto their expectations? i only ask as i have realised this past month with help of cpn that my family, although very loving cause me more distress than anyone because i feel i have to live upto an unrealistic expecation.....the same with christmas. to most people, you can put woes behind you and forgive family arguments and switch on the 'happy' face. but when you have bpd you know you cant do that at will, or of you can it will still be very distressing.

i guess im trying to say, i think its very understandable why xmas and new year is hard especially with bpd.
my husband is helping me plan for the christmas period, like what to do in crisis, and who to tell etc. the more planned the better as your anxieties should lower if you know what your doing....amd you have a do this or this plan for unexpected situations.

sorry for ramble and i hope it makes sense to you and may help? :hug2:

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
thank you everyone for all your advise. It's not great to realise how many people struggle but good to know i'm not alone. Ive had a particularly bad week as I have just got let go from my job, not fired exactly but my probationary period is coming to an end. Sigh. So now I have 2 cars, a house and a horse and no job. this is making things pretty bad