Author Topic: scars showing and being a nurse *trig  (Read 11112 times)

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
scars showing and being a nurse *trig
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
I am a student nurse and going to be doing a clinical placement in 6 weeks. I have numerous scarrs that will not only be visible with my tunic on but also pretty obvious.

does anyone know if there are any exceptions for wearing long sleeves on a ward?

I just want to know if anyone knows where i stand regarding this before i have to open a can of worms at uni

(i understand it will probably have to be broached anyway, i'd still rather cover up anyway though to be honest)

if anyone has answers , either from working in a hospital or if you have been in this situation i'd be greatful of the advise because i am freaking out about  it big time x  ??????!?

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: scars showing and being a nurse *trig
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Pretty sure there's no flexibility with "bare below the elbow". I'm on a temporary medical team in a few weeks time and can't even wear my medi-alert...

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
I was an NA on a medical ward. There are no exceptions on NHS medical/surgical wards - everyone is supposed to be bare below the elbow for infection control purposes.

I have quite significant scarring on both of my forearms and I, like you, was a bit worried. It was really fine though. A couple of people commented, but it was more curiosity than judgement and they were happy with me saying I had been unwell, but was fully recovered. One patient gave me scar reduction tips, but again, there was no judgement there - she was genuinely trying to be helpful.

If you can, try and go on to the ward with confidence and hold your head high. If you don't seem bothered by your scars, it's less likely that anyone else will be.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll try to answer if I can. :hug2:
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
Have you told OH about your MH?

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »
thank you, i'm just really worried, I am on placement at the moment but with no uniform or anything but for a few hours one morning I took off my cardi because I was so uncomfortably hot and had a pretty bad experience with my mentor noticing (and being in an office full of psychiatrists and social workers you would think they would have got it) she basically told me that I must keep them covered at all times for the sake of the patients and other colleagues. (im with the Learning dissibility team btw)

This threw me because although I am usually careful  to cover up for certain things I haven't ever covered them up 100% of the time and usually do whatever is most comfortable for me. But I haven't ever felt so bad about it in my life.

Now as you can imagine I am pretty reluctant to let anyone see then especially since a few of them are reasonably new (although healed) and have that horrible thick purple tinge to them that really stands out.

Oh help what am i going to do :'(

Oh and to answer Reeta, I have been to occupational health meetings but pretty much just told them that I was okay, and not in therapy or anything (I wasn't at the time but am now) I was scared they wouldn't let me study...

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
People with learning disabilities can be very impressionable and they can also lack understanding. Though your mentor could have been more sensitive, I can see what she means. It's nothing to feel bad about hon, though I know it might feel that way. Sometimes in very specific circumstances, it's better to keep covered up - as much for your sake as the people you're supporting. Questions from people with learning disabilities can be very difficult to answer (I was a support worker for a few years...) :hug2:

I think though, that medical wards are different. The patient/nurse dynamic is very different with physical illnesses, in my experience. I honestly was fine. I just acted like I didn't care and put the patients first, and that's all that mattered to the Sister and any of the nurses I was working under.

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »
thank you, I did always cover up in front of the patients however in the office I felt a bit different and I didn't expect a lecture from her and I got that rabbit in the headlights thing people get because I was caught off guard about it and then ended up getting defensive... not a wise move really to be honest but she made me feel so awful. And it isn't like I can help it. if I could help it I wouldn't be in this situation :(

I am a childrens nurse and I am slightly concerned about if I get any questions from the parents. Am I supposed to be truthful? Or do  I make something up? i suppose half the time people just want hear it from you and already know what happened so I suppose I have to tell the truth?

I am sooo not prepared for this :'(

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »
Oh, I would say it's different if you were in the office. I'm sorry that she did that - I think your reaction was completely understandable. It's hard when people say things like that. :hug2:

I think honesty is the best policy, but remember that it's your business and your business only. It's 100% OK to say that you don't want to talk about it, though obviously in a polite manner. I just used to say that I had been unwell and that I was now better. You don't have to disclose anything that's going to make you uncomfortable. :hug1:

It's be OK. Really it will. Do you have anyone from uni that you could talk to?

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »
I have a personal tutor but again she confronted me (about having weekly appointments) she said it was her business to know as I am going into a caring profession and she needed to know, so i had to tell her about my psychotherapy. i wasn't sure that she DID  have the right to know so again I got all defensive and said that It was up to me to choose weather I am well enough to do a course and then ran out the door basically shouting i'm okay... So I am not too keen to bring this up with her if I don't have too.

I am worried occ health will get involved and they will deem me upfit to practice or something...

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
Have you spoken to your tutor since you had that conversation? I think it would really, really help if you could have an open and honest conversation with her. It's hard not to get defensive, but you might find that she'd be able to support you.

I had to see occupational health when I was an NA. I had only been out of hospital for a couple of months when I got the job and I was fine. They did have to write to my psychiatrist and CPN to get their opinion on my fitness, but I didn't have a problem because they were supportive. Do you think your psychotherapist would support you to continue studying?

:hug2: