Author Topic: Identity *SH, ED*  (Read 5450 times)

Bethy

Identity *SH, ED*
« on: June 15, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »
Just wondering what people's experiences/opinions are on this.

I feel lost. Every single day of the past 5ish years has been completely ruled by my ED/SH/etc. Now I have got to the point where it isn't the centre of my life, I do a large amount of paid, voluntary and academic work, have formed decent friendships, have hobbies that aren't self destructive, am working really hard to better myself. But all 'that' stuff is missing, it's like there's this huge void and often I want all that horribly intensity back so much, just to fill that space.

Offline Louise

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Kiss me properly and pull me apart
Re: Identity *SH, ED*
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 11:49:18 PM »
I definitely understand what you mean.

I was always quite resolute in my whole "my illness doesn't define me" thing but looking back, the fact was it DID take up an inordinate amount of my time, and was actually behind 90% of everything I did/didn't do. And obviously, in my own head, it was always king, regardless of whatever else was happening.

Personally, it came as a relief to be able to "define" myself in other ways - career, marriage, fulfilling hobbies/interests. But it does feel very strange, even now. For me it wasn't so much having to find my identity from scratch, but finally become the "me" I always was underneath all the distortion and sickeness...but I do understand about almost "missing" it.

I think that is actually quite normal, when something has taken over your life for so many years, being without it does feel like a massive void. It's a weird example, but I often think of it like being married to someone I didn't love, who made my life a misery, but who I had been with for so long that when I finally made the decision to leave, whilst life was "better" it was completely empty. Purely because that person had emptied my life of everything else that could give me enjoyment and give my life meaning.

I suppose all I can really say is that you are definitely doing the right thing in terms of moving on with life, filling it with people and activities rather than illness. I think maybe a part of you will always miss the previous stuff, but the longer it goes on, the more you develop a "real" life, the less you will think about those times, and the more unfavourable it will seem in comparison to your current situation.

At least, that's what I tell myself and what keeps me going.
There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late

Bethy

Re: Identity *SH, ED*
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »
Thank you Louise. That was a really really helpful reply. :)