Author Topic: Support/guidance for staff working with younger children that self harm  (Read 8246 times)

Offline HIO CandYP

• First posts
 :wave:
Hello, I am part of a working group who are developing some localised multi agency guidance for staff working with children and young people who self harm.  We have now reached a stage where we have completed a focus group which has look ed at the development to date.  The group identified a gap around guidance around working with younger children and we all agree this is something that needs further development.  I am struggling to find anything nationally to support the development, can anyone please suggest/signpost to any resources/guidance/websites etc that has a focus on children under the age of 11 please.  Thanks very much for reading  :mademyday:

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Support/guidance for staff working with younger children that self harm
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 01:42:21 AM »
Have you looked at learning disability teams? Many are involved quite a lot earlier than in a mainstream context. Also strategies and ways of working are more likely to be transferable. 
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline HIO CandYP

• First posts
Thank you ever so much for getting back to me, its really appreciated. When looking for information/support for Children, its been a real struggle.  I did find some information from Bristol - 'Hidden-Pain' and felt that there would be transferable links, its good to hear someone else is thinking along those lines.  Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  If you ever come across anything new, i would be really happy to hear about it.

Offline princess890

• 18+
  • Silver Member
  • Depressed? Phone off ignore the world
4 Days Binge Free

Offline HIO CandYP

• First posts
Thanks for the links, much appreciated. :)

Offline princess890

• 18+
  • Silver Member
You usually find that once you've found one resource, you can find another  just get googling
4 Days Binge Free

Offline HIO CandYP

• First posts
Thanks again.  Lol where would we be without Google these days  :1059:

Offline princess890

• 18+
  • Silver Member
it comes in handy for a lot of things, you could also save the links i have given you in your favourites or perhaps copy and paste them into word document/notepad so that way you have them long term.
4 Days Binge Free

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
I wondered if it might be helpful to contact your local duty and advice team and ask them if they are aware of anything locally to tap into, although I'd avoid calling at times when you would just get the duty worker because they are usually pretty busy. Most have a general email address that is published in the depths of their information. 
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”