Author Topic: Peer Support - What are the Pro's and Con's to Peer Support  (Read 5981 times)

Offline gorbett

• First posts
Peer Support - What are the Pro's and Con's to Peer Support
« on: October 24, 2015, 12:10:52 AM »
Peer Support - What are the Pro's and Con's to Peer Support

Hi there;

I am a person with many experiences with self harm.  I am an academic with personal experiences.

Self harm I have seen is not limited to suicidal thoughts.  My experiences are with drug over-dose, drug abuse and alcohol abuse.  I am interested to know how this forum is helpful.

Kim

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Peer Support - What are the Pro's and Con's to Peer Support
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:52:33 PM »
I think different people find different uses. Sometimes it's a place to distract yourself in Random or games room.
Other times its useful to rant to a computer screen and have it reply. Sometimes you find that a particular person is able to help by suggesting something or sharing an experience.  Sometimes that builds links between people.  It's a very strange world to understand if you aren't in it I think, but actually real, strong helpful relationships can be built with people you've never met before....occasionally those people become more than that. I met my partner on the forum. 

Sometimes it is helpful to just post stuff in response to other people.  I think the point varies according to the person and the situation and whines online at the time
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Peer Support - What are the Pro's and Con's to Peer Support
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »
It's been summed up very well in the last post but I would also like to add that the anonymity of the forum is also very helpful for me as it enables me to share things that I find difficult to talk about irl. I also find it much easier to write things rather than talk about them which is another reason this forum is helpful. The only con I can think of is the possibility of accidentally reading something that could be triggering but I generally just stay out of the on topic areas if I feel I may get triggered easily.
Rabbits are better than people