Author Topic: Travelling to the USA with a mental illness  (Read 25096 times)

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
Travelling to the USA with a mental illness
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »
Hey,

I am planning on booking a holiday for next September to the USA and Canada. I'm just a bit worried about being granted entry to America because of my mental health. Has anyone experienced a problem with this? I've looked on the U.S. embassy website and it says having a mental illness can be an exclusion for entry if it causes harmful behaviour. I've never caused harm to others, but I have self harmed, and I can't hide this as I've lots of SH scars. My psych said he is happy to write that I'm not a danger to myself or others, but I'm worried that won't be enough....

Any advice?

Thank you in advance  :holdingflower:
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline pandapaws

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Travelling to the USA with a mental illness
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
i dont have an answer here but would suggest submitting your psych letter with your application and hopefully that will be sufficient. And dont worry about it cos the sress will make you ill, just think what will be will be and if its not the usa it will be soewhere else equally amazing.

xx
It is joy to be hidden but diaster not to be found -  D. Winnicott, 1963

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:02:08 PM »
To be frank, I don't know. It was a concern for me as well because it's not exactly a breeze to get into the US. However, I think there's little cause for personal concern if you have had MH issues, but there is no violence or history of your having threatened others/property, etc.

The main form is the ESTA for the US - that does ask about MH in some capacity. I mean, if they were asking everyone for their personal MH details and excluding every MH issue, then theoretically they would have to turn away 1 in 4 people, which would be ridiculous.

I would read up about it, but only trust official sites.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm

Do you have a physical or mental disorder; are you a drug abuser or addict; or do you currently have any of the following diseases:

Chancroid
    Gonorrhea
    Granuloma Inguinale
    Leprosy, infectious
    Lymphogranuloma venereum
    Syphilis, infectious
    Active Tuberculosis

Diseases

Under United States law communicable diseases of public health significance include:

Chancroid
    Gonorrhea
    Granuloma inguinale
    Leprosy, infectious
    Lymphogranuloma venereum
    Syphilis, infectious stage
    Active Tuberculosis

Physical or Mental Disorders

With regard to physical or mental disorders, answer "Yes" to this question if:

(a) You currently have a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or

(b) You had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others and the behavior is likely to recur or lead to other harmful behavior. Answer "No" if:

(a) You currently have no physical or mental disorders; or

(b) You have or had a physical or mental disorder without associated behavior that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare of that of others; or

(c) You currently have a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior, but that behavior has not posed, does not currently pose nor will pose a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or

(d) You had a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior that posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others, but that behavior is unlikely to recur

Amongst other things

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:03:53 PM »
If you're a UK passport holder the easiest way to sort it is to complete the ESTA https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ before you go. How much you declare is your decision. I've been detained under the mental health act a lot in the past, and have travelled and worked in the US, and been honest in my ESTA and VISA applications, though didn't volunteer any detail they did not request.