Author Topic: A couple of things from today  (Read 3664 times)

starlight

A couple of things from today
« on: November 04, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
I met my care coordinator today, she's really lovely! 

I've noticed though that when talking about things in my childhood or difficult things I dig my nails into under my thumb nails.and make myself bleed, I know I have always done this but for some reason it only just dawned on me today in my appointment when talking about childhood.  I don't class this as self harm but it is something I feel I should stop doing as making my thumbs and fingers bleed is quite annoying in the long run. I just can't control it at the time though,  I just do it without realising and then realise after. It is only in appointments when talking about difficult things that I do it though.  I just wondered whether anyone has any advice on this?

Also,  my care coordinator mentioned the echo group which I think is just a local group where I live,  but it's basically a self harm support group  and as this forum is helpful for me I wonder whether this group will be.  Does anyone have any experience of self harm support groups or the echo group?

Thanks for reading! x

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: A couple of things from today
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
I'm glad you like your care coordinator ...

Could you maybe discuss the nail thing with the person your talking to at the time, they might be able to offer advice and support on how to stop it... And they will notice when your doing it and remind you... I would say try something simple like sitting on your hands but it's obviously a coping mechanism so it might be better to talk about it ?

I've never heard of the echo group but I have been to DBT where most of us SH and it was a group, it was nice to share experiences but sometimes people would have SH on show and I could find it quite triggering.. In the end they banned the SH on show so might be worth checking their policy so you know what to wear etc and to prepare yourself for other peoples SH ?
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..