Author Topic: driving license & diagnosis  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
driving license & diagnosis
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:15:01 AM »
Hey

Has decided to bite the bullet and learn to drive.

The form for a provisional lisence asks about

'serious psychiatric illness or mental ill health'

Does anyone know if you have to declare personality disorders?

I wouldn't consider it to be 'serious' by any means but id rather not ring the Psych to ask and the appt is a few weeks away....I dont want a £1000 fine for not declaring if I should but I cant see that it would affect driving.

Can anyone shed some light?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Re: driving license & diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:19:24 AM »
https://www.gov.uk/personality-disorder-and-driving

You have to tell them about certain MH conditions, but others you only have to inform them if it would affect driving. It looks like personality disorders fall into the latter category.
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:17:46 AM »
Cool. Is it worth asking the psych anyway....I really cant see it affecting driving..
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:34:02 PM »
...I think my mum is more keen than me! Taking me too look at cars before ive even applied for a provisional.

Ive come to a little compromise - take the form all done to the next appt I have with the psychologist and ask him if I need to ask the psychiatrist...if not I can post it on the way home.

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:31:25 PM »
DVLA website give info on which illnesses need to be declared.  PD is not declarable, only if it will affect driving.

I have known people to be refused because of medication they're on. (usually a lot of sedatives)

Until I'm asked I will declare nothing!!!!
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
Omg.... My mum put a deposit on a car....ive not even got a provisional but will have a car in a few days!!!!

(it is technically my money tho inherited and was for a car....just didn't think it wud be till I passed my test.)

Uber excited....new car, new job....arghh!!!!

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:01:18 AM »
Lock please. Has a provisional and has started lessons. :)