Author Topic: Starting to pay Rent to Parents  (Read 4404 times)

Offline DawnArcher

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Nil Desperandum
Starting to pay Rent to Parents
« on: July 24, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »
I need to start paying rent to my parents as they can't afford to have me live with them without paying rent for any longer.

The problem is I can only give them £100 a month at the moment and I know that's nowhere near enough to cover my food, the washing powder, electricity, gas and water I use. I'm also saving money to pay back £320 I owe to my sister so I end up with £30 or less a week. That's from Income based Job-Seekers allowance. I have no other income.

I need money to be able to get out of the house and see friends otherwise I'll go mental. Well more mental than I am anyway.

I have no idea of what normal rent is or if I'd qualify for housing benefit.  :help:
Last cut: 22/11/2013
Last SH: 22/11/2013.

Nighty night oh novely one. :hug2:

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
Re: Starting to pay Rent to Parents
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »
As you are living with your parents you won't get housing benefit.

In regards to rent prices it depends what you are renting and where. Where I am the average lodger rent is roughly £75 a week. For your own flat it's about £550 a month.

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 02:00:20 PM »
I'm sure your parents will understand that you can't afford to give them much more at the moment... and i'm sure they'll be really pleased that you want to pay rent and are trying to support yourself more... it will take the pressure off them... it's £100 they didn't have before...

goodluck... xxx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Bethy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »
What Bluegem says - any financial help you're trying to offer will presumably be appreciated rather than nothing. When I lived at home I gave my mum what I could afford, and then over time gave more after I started earning more etc.

Offline jackgrillo

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Totally King of Rainbow!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »
The rent I was paying in Norwich when I was a student was £290 a month, which was a double room in a four-person house. There was, of course, food and bills on top of that.

Now that I've moved home, I'm going to be paying rent to my mum. When i was in my gap year (before I went to uni), I was earning a fair amount, and paid £150 a month as rent. it's not as much as you would expect to pay, but it went towards covering her expenses because of me (food, washing, heating, that kind of thing).

I think I'll probably be paying about the same again now. I'm away during the week, though, so she doesn't have to feed me then.

Like Bluegem has said, even if it's just £100, it's £100 more than they had before, and it's good to show willing to support yourself :)
:13328: <-- gregory
:13328: <-- that one was given to me by chihiro

I like walking in the rain because then nobody can see me cry

Offline DawnArcher

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Nil Desperandum
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »
As you are living with your parents you won't get housing benefit.

In regards to rent prices it depends what you are renting and where. Where I am the average lodger rent is roughly £75 a week. For your own flat it's about £550 a month.
It's pants that I can't get housing benefit to give my parents more. They'd be better off if they had a lodger instead of me. I think it is silly though. Technically they are my landlords and they could kick me out if they wanted to. (They won't but they could.)

Thanks for your replies. You're all right it is £100 they didn't have before. I will try not to feel guilty about not be able to give them more money than that. ::) I can't guarantee I will succeed but I will try.

Last cut: 22/11/2013
Last SH: 22/11/2013.

Nighty night oh novely one. :hug2: