Author Topic: Feeling 'whizzy.'  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Feeling 'whizzy.'
« on: April 27, 2020, 12:40:52 AM »
Hey.

I've been doing ok for just over a couple of weeks, maybe nearer to three. Getting out each day for permitted exercise, doing indoor exercise, doing weekly Tesco Express shop, eating healthily, working, have an interview for a virus related voluntary position tomorrow (as I cannot volunteer at hospice currently due to understandable restrictions on people going into the building.) Things are OK.

I do keep getting overstimulated though. If I do too much, you know? I'm trying to maintain balance, but I'm feeling rather whizzy quite frequently. Am currently sat in hammock, under weighted blanket, in the dark. It helps a bit, but once I'm up here it takes a while for it to wear off, you know?

Does anyone get this? It doesn't feel bad as such, more uncomfortable I guess, but the lack of sleep is frustrating.  If you do experience similar,  how do you deal with it?

::)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 04:45:00 AM by Terri »
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Feeling 'whizzy.'
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 03:03:56 AM »
Yes...definitely yes. Honestly I have a room which sounds similar to your hammock in the dark set up. My partner let's me know when she can see it starting and helps with a bit of a check list to make sure I look after myself. I also try to make sure I stop, know that it is happening and decide that I can deliberately take time out to calm down.
Although, some of the time this is similar to beginning of hypomania. It's actually often how we tell if that is starting. I also try to acknowledge that it is my version of being overwhelmed. On my next day off I let myself do nothing. That often helps. Before then, I get a new audiobook or put on something I like that hold my attention and put it on my over ear noise cancelling headphones in all of the time between shifts and sleep. I then have a set few 'fall asleep to this' audiobooks that help me. If that doesn't work, I reset my sleep clock with melatonin that can be prescribed by GPs for 'jet lag' (reluctantly) in the UK. There are other legal ways to get it here but I think that might break rules to suggest.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 04:43:34 AM »
Thanks so much, Lorien. :) This is really helpful stuff.

It happens sometimes when I feel 'ok' and it's fairly short-lived. This is one of the more prolonged periods though and my body is tired (gritty eyes etc), but my mind is very much not. ::) It will go away, I am overwhelmed, and have been doing a lot, but it always passes. I guess sometimes when I'm like this, I struggle to stop and actively slow down because I get scared that'll lead to a negative headspace again so have to keep the momentum going. Truth is, not slowing down is more likely to lead to a bad patch because I'll exhaust myself (without really feeling it at the time) and crash.

If I'm honest, people keep telling me that I'm doing really 'well' at coping with this social distancing/partial lockdown - so far much better than anyone expected - that I'm worried people will be concerned if I have a slow day. Not that I have to tell anyone. ::)

I do need to be sensible though, because no one can afford me to go mad right now. So. I've got some audiobooks to listen to that I haven't touched yet, so will definitely give those a go - and also have noise cancelling headphones. I've got work 9am - 1pm today, then interview at 2:15pm, then I will go for a short, slow walk and take the rest of the day to rest and listen to Stephen Fry telling me a story.

Thanks again. :)
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »
Stephen Fry is an epic narrator. He should read every story. I hope you are are feeling more able to relax today.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”