Author Topic: New job - short sleeved uniform urgent help!! *trig*  (Read 12673 times)

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
New job - short sleeved uniform urgent help!! *trig*
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »
I'm starting a new job tomorrow at boots and at the interview they told me that the compulsory uniform is a short sleeved polo shirt. they had said that I need to cover my tattoos (which are on my wrist, hand and inner arm) with plasters, I asked whether I could just wear a long sleeved top as that would hide all my tattoos and she said no it isn't allowed.

I am therefore in a really awkward position because I have a lot of really obvious sh scars on both arms, one arm is especially obvious. I have no idea what to do!! I understand that they might not want me to expose them on the shop floor, but if that is the case I'll have to wear a long sleeved top ... Then the other staff will wonder why, and although I know I shouldn't be ashamed I still don't really want anyone to know because they will pre-judge me.

As tomorrow is my first day they told me to just come in, in a White top with black pants so I'm wearing a long sleeved Cardigan. But they will be fitting me for a uniform tomorrow - so should I just be open and honest and tell them the truth and see what they say? Do u think they are more likely to tell me to just wear a long sleeve shirt underneath their polo shirt? Or tell me to just bare all?! Do u think they could sack me for this? :-/

Any ideas are really really welcome xx
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

split

Re: New job - short sleeved uniform urgent help!! *trig*
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 05:04:38 AM »
Legally they shouldn't be allowed to sack you.

The reason for short sleeves at boots is much the same as the nhs. They deliver health care services ie, opticians, pharmacy etc.

I have no advice I am affraid. Other than be honest ish. Tell them the scars are old and you don't sh anymore but you would still prefer to cover them.

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
I'm so nervous about today, it's horrible because starting a new job is scary enough without having to be confronted with telling stragers one of your most private secrets straight away... urgh.

So I'm going to say...
" I understand that the uniform here is short sleeves. I just wanted to let you know that I self harmed when I was much younger and still have the old scars - I don't know how you feel about that being on show, or whether you would rather i wore a long sleeve top / three quater length sleeve on underneath. I'm happy to do either, but I wanted to make you aware of the fact so you can choose what you feel is most appropriate. I'm sorry if it is going to cause inconvenience but unfortunately there is nothing I can do to change it."

I hope that sounds ok, i'm kind of putting the ball in their court.

I hope they don't just tell me to go home, or say anything that is going to really hurt my feelings... if they do i'd have no idea how to explain that one to my parents.

urgh nervous nervous nervous
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline sparkledust

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • when you wish upon a star.........
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
that sounds good hun

hope your first day goes well let us know all the details

thinking of you  :1059:
[img width=250 height=52]
there is no such thing as strangers,simply friends waiting to meet

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »
That sounds fine to say to them hun. I have worked in shops with short sleeve uniforms and had been so worried about showing scars, but I have to say no one said anything about them.

Hope it goes well xx
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:43:37 AM »
Thank you very much for the kind words and replies, it is a great comfort to me to have you guys  :hug2:  :)

I'm due to start at 12, so starting to get anxious, i've got a stomach ache already from nerves!

At the end of the day there really is nothing else i can do. I can't make the scars go away overnight (we all wish that could b***** happen!) so all i can do is just be honest and allow them to decide on the best course of action. I just need to remain calm and try to be confident about it all. If I act like it isn't an issue then hopefully they will follow suit.

This is just a christmas temp job, so even if it is awkward and they do 'judge' me, its only going to be for a month.. and the i'll probaby never see them again...

Preferably i would rather wear long sleeves though just incase people i know come into the store and see me as this is something i like to keep private. I'm just not comfortable revealing this is people untill they are very close friends who i know i can trust completly...

i'll let you know how i get on and what they say...

again, thank you so so much for replying, it means a lot xx

Offline caspers smudj

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • dont follow me, im lost too!!!
    • reaching out together
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »
aww hun
well done or getting the job
in the long term ask to be referred by dr to red cross camouflage service where they can give you creams to cover your scars
i think thee is a thread on here somewhere about it
hopefullt a mod can find it for you
good luck today
xxx
visit is at
https://www.reachingouttogether.proboards.com/
all visitors will be welcomed!!

Offline wolfie

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
How did you get on? I think you should be allowed to wear short sleeves. I don't know the legal ins and outs of it but could you seek some professional legal advice on your rights to cover up. Women of certain religions are allowed to cover up their entire bodies at work because of their religious rights. Surely somebody with scars has the right to cover up if they want?
:doggy:

Bethy

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »
I really hope it was okay RG xx

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »
Update...

I needent have worried!

I spoke to the manager and she was lovely about it. She said it is entirely up to me if i want to wear a long sleeved top she said that is fine, she will talk to the other managers and let them know the score so i don't need to worry :-)

yay!! so yeah, if anyone else ever has the same problem my advice would be to just be honest, tell the manager the situation and don't let it worry you.

Thank you once again for all the replies and kind words of encouragement, it gave me the confidence i needed today, as always you are all amazing xxx