Author Topic: Books that you have found to help  (Read 103777 times)

Regsar

Re: Books that you have found to help
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »
For those with a diagnosis of BPD

"The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook" by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey Brantley and Thomas Marra ISBN-10: 1572245131

Wonderful book, my CPN has used the approaches in this book with me and they have saved my life. (Slushy I know)

RS

goowak

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2008, 08:23:23 PM »
I know they've already been listed but wanted to mention them as they've really helped me in many different ways.

Girl Interrupted - Really good book, the movie is pretty good too

Wasted - Marya Hornbacher. I've read this book twice. The first time I read it I found myself really triggered. The second time I read it I found myself so deeply touched. It was as if she was in my head. I realised that I really needed to change.

Prozac Nation - made me feel a bit desperate in parts, but on whole it was helpful

Offline thecardmaker

• Standard Member
  • Usually here
  • over 21
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »
hi i have a book and its called the six pillars of self esteem
its good i would encourage any one to buy it its by nathaniel brandan
you have to order it from waterstones but its worth the wait

the card maker
the harder we walk in this life the harder it gets but when we come up a brick wall dont turn back just go through it .  anon

when you thinking of giving up then is when it gets harder but keep pushing on you will get there
anon

Offline kayw

• 18+
  • Silver Member
  • sometimes pain is the only escape
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2008, 11:41:45 PM »
i would like to recommend Veronika decides to die by Paulo Coelho. Its fictional put really spiritual as are most of his books. its quite short as well so good for readers block.

I've also just bought The Feeling Good Hanbook by David D Burns haven't read it yet but its come highly recommended.

Had no idea Girl, Interupted was a book i'm gonna look for that!
These days are dark and the nights are cold
People acting like they lost their soul
And everywhere I go I see another person like me
Trying to make it all feel like home

Offline Sue

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Hugs to everyone
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2008, 09:36:43 PM »
Psychiatric Drugs Explained, David Healy.

butterflys

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2008, 01:08:06 AM »
i have noticed alot of ppl have mentioned elizabeth wurtzel (prozac nation, more,agin, now and b****) I love all of her books...but to all that have not read them i will warn that it could be a poss trig if your feeling fragile! just thought id warn :) x

Offline Sue

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Hugs to everyone
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
Psychiatry and the Human Condition, though I don't agree with all of it and one of the chapters is hard going in places.

Offline secretsquirrel

• 18+
  • Usually here
    • my blog
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2008, 09:51:41 PM »
I find poetry books can help me in difficult times.  Just browsing through a book and finding one poem that speaks to me and expresses what i feel and cannot say makes me feel less alone and more connected to the world.   Also, when my concentration is not good, I can just chose one short poem of a few lines and that is enough.   

We Have Come Through: 100 Poems celebrating courage in overcoming depression and tragedy.

I have found this poetry book very inspiring, offering insight into despair and difficult emotions and also hope and solace.  It was published to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Survivor's Poetry (which is a network of writers groups for people who have suffered mental distress), and has a few poems written by members, as well as more famous poets of past and present.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Have-Come-Through-Celebrating-Overcoming/dp/1852246197

Staying Alive:  real poems for unreal times

This is another anthology, with contemporary poems that are powerful, emotive and life-affirming, from a variety of international poets on themes such as life and death, love and loss, journeys, war and peace, body and soul.   

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Staying-Alive-Poems-Unreal-Times/dp/1852245883

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 10:44:20 PM »
For those with a diagnosis of BPD

"The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook" by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey Brantley and Thomas Marra ISBN-10: 1572245131

Wonderful book, my CPN has used the approaches in this book with me and they have saved my life. (Slushy I know)

RS

my therapist reccomended this to me too.
xxx
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Nixie

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Music Music Music Music
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2008, 11:54:50 PM »
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I read this book in secondary school and had to but three copies myself because I read it that much. It's one girl's experience as she deals with a life changing event. I felt so connected with the character and gripped by the style of writing.
speak is the most amazing book ever - although i never went through what she did. the way she feels and thinks and the way it is written i can totally relate to. that book has been read so many times by me, it helps me cry, it makes me laugh and it inspires me to carry on. i also read it in secondary school - but i would recomend anyone to read it, it may be about a teenager, but im sure quite a few people on this site can relate to alot of what she goes through. whenever i go through a bad patch, speak comes off the bookshelf. x
If You Kill All My Demons You Might Kill All My Angels Too
                Sometimes The Risk Is Worth It
                              Fallen Angel
                         :jump: :1025: :jump:
                      Formerly known as Scars