Author Topic: tattoing as self harm?  (Read 4328 times)

Offline Shattered

• 18+
  • Usually here
'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will break my heart'

Offline Shattered

• 18+
  • Usually here
'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will break my heart'

split

Re: tattoing as self harm?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
This is a topic that is raised quite regularly here. I am into body modification and some peircings I know I have gotten to through a desire for pain. I personally have never had a tattoo done for that reason.

Offline nosda

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »
I equally have never got a Tattoo for this reason, but I can understand why you would though, because the last tattoo I had done, did feel exactly like I was harming. It didn't trigger me or anything but I did think about it at the time, just as a matter of fact more than anything.
In a way I guess it could be seen as a productive form of self harm.
An interesting question would be, if the person getting the tattoo's intention is harm, could the tattoo artist be prosecuted for assisted harm or even GBH?

Offline Jacqui

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
    • Jac's Junk Room
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »
I had most of my tattoos to cover sh scars. It doesnt cover them but it takes focua away from the scars.
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't really out to get you.

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »
The thought did cross my mind when I was considering my tattoo. But I'd wanted a tattoo years before I started to self harm, so in my eyes it wasn't a form of self harm. The place on my body where I got my tattoo has been self harm free since I got it (I'd found myself beginning to cut there in the months before the tattoo). I think somewhere in my head I don't want to 'damage' the area around the tattoo and it is this that has kept me self harm free in this particular area. So does this mean a part of me got it as a deterant to harm in that area?

Sorry for the ramblings!

Offline Fonsaca

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • קוֹף
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:37:51 AM »
I've never got a tattoo as a form of self harm. Maye a piercing but still not the same.
“Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.” - Lucius Annaeus Seneca