Author Topic: Taking part in a research study - anyone done it?  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Louise

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Kiss me properly and pull me apart
Taking part in a research study - anyone done it?
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »
Hi

So, a couple of months ago I got some forms in the post, via my GP, for a research study a Manchester University. It was to explore the links between depression and diabetes/coronary heart disease with a view to creating better treatments.

I forgot all about it, but half an hour ago someone from the study called me about it. They basically asked that "depression screening" questionnaire all GPs have (you know, the one you get online etc!) along with some other stuff. They booked an appointment to come and see me in person in 2 weeks time.

I'm more than happy to "help" and it'd be interesting to see if some better treatments come out of it. But having withdrawn from mental health services completely a few years ago, I'm a little apprehensive about having to "do" all that again. I'm worried about what feelings it might bring up. She said on the phone, when she was just introducing herself etc, that they "could not confirm an intervention. There is a 50/50 chance that you would get an intervention". What on earth is an intervention?! I'd thought I was just going to be used for data and, well, research purposes. Not too keen on the idea of anyone trying to treat me.

Has anyone had any experience of something like this?

The only reference I could find to it online was this:
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/news/display/?id=8441

but that seems to imply the study is over....so I guess I'll have to wait and ask her in person?

There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late

Offline Louise

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Taking part in a research study - anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
Sorry for "bumping" but has no one ever really done anything like this?! From such a large community I really would have though someone would have...

Anyway, in case anyone was wondering, I cancelled the appointment. The woman called to rearrange, at which point i mentioned it would be difficult to arrange around work. And she sounded very....disappointed.

Exact words " oh god, so do you, like, work FULL TIME then?!" I answered yes, leading to "oh.....ok.....well that's different".

Really? Different? To work for a living?

I work in spite of massive obstacles because otherwise I would be penniless and living on the street.

But apparently I have been wasting my time,
And this is not our fate

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:00:17 AM »
sorry hun haven't been part of a research study but was offered on on psychosis in cardiff... i didn't take it up...

sorry to hear of the womens attitude... you haven't been wasting your time at all... you should be proud you work so hard .. i used to have a psych that said to me in a really shocked voice EVERY time i saw him "so you work FULL TIME" with a shocked look on his face... it used to to really do my head in ... but i felt quite smug saying 'yes actually i do' !

xxx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Louise

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:30:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply :-) sorry you've had to experience that kind of attitude though...in an incredinly selfish sense I'm glad it's not "just me" but on a human levek you definitely have my sympathy - almost feels as though attempting to function as a human being scares them!

Anyway, after many emails and voicemails, she's coming Wednesday morning. had bokked time off anyway and hubby is under strict instructions to make himself scarce. It's strange, I've never properly considered the link between long term conditions and mental health....which is silly really, as when you say it outloud it's pretty b***** obvious.

Trying to be positive. This study could really help people.
And this is not our fate

Bethy

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »
It doesn't sound quite as controlled as this research as it was more psychology based than medical but I took part in my university's research a couple of years ago. There were some bits I was uncomfortable with but found that they were so grateful to have a participant that they worked around any tricky bits. My view was very much that if it'll help out other people as well as the researcher, and I could deal with it then it was worth going for it. I think most research things you can withdraw anytime.

Not sure what I make of the sound of 'an intervention' though!?

Hope it went well :)

Oh and on the attitude towards working full-time, all the more reason to speak out, to fight against attitudes like that ::)

Offline JCat

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:05:08 PM »
I took part in a computer CBT therapy study for Bristol uni for the last 2 years and it made me feel good that I might be helping to find a better way forward to treating Depression. Mine was just paper questionnaires every few months and wasn't too much hassle at all. They were all friendly and kept me up to date with how their research was going.

I'm also not too sure what I would think of an intervention but might be worth asking what it entails. It might not e as bad as it sounds.

Sorry the woman had a bit of an attitude with you. Maybe ask if there is someone else conducting the study you can talk to?

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »
Sorry I don't have any personal experiences to offer up, but just wanted to wish you lots of luck and I hope that some interesting data comes out of this xxx
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

crystal.star

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:33:32 PM »
I've only taken part in online surveys so not spoken to someone face to face.  But on one admission to hospital, a staff nurse who knew me from a previous admission, asked what I worked at and where.  When I told her I was a legal secretary at the firm I worked at she looked visibly shocked as if someone like me could not sustain a job like that.  Sometimes there is still so my stigma about having MH problems!  ::)

Offline Louise

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »
Thank you for the replies - sorry I never acknowledged them at the time.

So I "passed" all the preliminary stuff, the surgery I am registered at has been chosen for the "intervention" group rather than the "control" group. First proper appointment for that is tomorrow.

Funny, the other night, at yet another yawnfest black tie work do, my boss's friend (who is a boss somewhere else, but not my boss....you get the idea) was talking to me for over 2 hours and for some reason he *still* mentioned the marks on my arms. That are 5 years old.

He was not intrusive, or negative, and it did not make me feel uncomfortable. Only reason I mention is that it made me think, perhaps, these things are still a part of me. If a polite, professional, middle aged man still notices my physical appearance perhaps it's something I need to accept is always going to be there. And that perhaps addressing the phycological reasons could do a little airing too.

I don't know. Will be interesting to see what comes up.
And this is not our fate