Author Topic: Mirtazapine  (Read 7762 times)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Mirtazapine
« on: May 13, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »
Doctor has given me mirtazapine to take and I feel extremely sleepy and really out if it, I feel like I'm high on something.
Has anyone else taken rhis and know how long this side effect will last. Is it just the ffirst few days? I feel loke I'm stoned.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: Mirtazapine
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:32:36 PM »
Hey, CV

Several people on here have experience of mirtazapine - if you do a forum search on mirtazapine, there are a several responses that might help answer your question more quickly..

:hug1:
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
Hi CV, I'm on mirtazapine. It took a few weeks of total zonk before I got used to it. Been on it 2 years now. It still makes me tired sometimes but I can work through it and it is worth it for the help it gives me sleeping at night. I was on the melt in the mouth ones which I took at bedtime and they helped me go straight to sleep. Now on the ordinary ones I have to take them 2 hours before bed for the best sleep and not too tired getting up. X x

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:02:30 PM »
I felt like a zombie for a couple of weeks, I think it got better when they increased the dose. I've now been in it over 10years and don't find that I'm too sleepy, I sometimes feel tired but I function well on quite a high dose in combination with other meds. . I think it does still help with sleep though not as much as it used to.
*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »
Thanks guys.

I think I just needed some reassurance since I've never felt this messed up with meds before. It worked well for you so ill try and stick it out.

Ill do a search too, don't know why I didn't think of that!  :doh:

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 01:19:48 AM »
Think a lot of them do that to start with and then settles as you become used to it. Mirtazepine is great for sleep in the 15mg and 45mg dose.

When you say you feel high is just sleepy high?

Watch out for the munchies!!
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »
I'm getting really bad munchies at the moment! It's sort of a hyper yet exhausted feeling if that makes sense?  Feeling really spaced out, hope this settles down. Thanks hayley.

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 11:12:05 PM »
I asked about the high because a side effect of mirtazapine is hallucinations (very rare I hasten to add). Just sounds like its just the sedative effect that you haven't got used to yet.

Try eating fruit or having a drink for the munchies as mirtazapine is a proper weight gainer!!!
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 06:40:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I  have to be careful with the munchies/ weight gain since I'm diabetic.... though that seems to be dying down a bit now. I'm so very tired though- maybe it's worth seeing my gp about an increase which wierdly seemd to help....

Thanks for all the advice guys.  :)

Offline antagonist

• First posts
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 09:49:09 AM »
You should start to feel better soon! When I first started mirtazapine, all I did was sleep because it made me very spaced out but now I've become used to it and it's not that bad. I take it at night because it still makes me pretty sleepy! It helps me get straight to sleep which is good :) Like others have said, do be careful because Mirtazapine can cause you to gain weight! I gained ALOT of weight after being on it and it's really gotten me down :(

Hope the mirtazapine works for you x