Author Topic: Couch to 5k...  (Read 11833 times)

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
Re: Couch to 5k...
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 09:22:35 PM »
Well done to everyone doing this, I really admire you. The thought of running terrifies me!
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

split

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 10:30:08 PM »
It terrified me at first TH but so far it is going well! you should try it!

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »
It's something I'm struggling with it recently. So I may set up a blog or something and post my runs.

Amongst other things

split

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 08:32:21 AM »
we could always keep this thread open with which to spurr each other on? How far have you gotten into the program Gerard?

split

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
just completed W4R2 this morning... so I am rewarding myself with pizza hut for lunch. it may seem counter productive but I pretend I am running toward a pizza when I am flagging so having reached and completed week 4 I feel it is deserved. Should be finishing the 9 weeks by the middle of July then I think I shall break out of the park and run through the streets with gay abandon!

Offline still

• Standard Member
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 12:09:35 AM »
Do it!

This morning I just finished week 7 run 1 and I feel amazing! I ran continuously for 25 minutes and never dreamed 7 weeks ago that that would be possible. Like a lot of people have said, the great thing is you can go back and repeat a week if you find it too fast. For me a 30 something who hasn't done a lot of exercise for years it is paced really well. At first just running 60 seconds left me out of puff, but it increased so gradually I felt able to stick at it. Once I began to feel fitter it even felt too slow, but it's paced slowly so as to give your knees time to adjust and avoid injury, so I didn't jump ahead.

I found the music a bit repetitive though, so I copied the schedule off of the website and put the timings into the interval timer on my phone (I have a really old basic Nokia phone and was surprised to find an interval timer in the organiser, so I think most phones must have one) and then just listened to music or podcasts and followed the beep intervals on my phone, which I found much better. I have a print-out of the runs on my wall and tick them off with a big coloured smiley face each time I do one and it feels great.

I really hope you go for it rriot girl. When I'm having a bad week SH-wise, it's great to look at my run programme on the wall and see that at least I am progressing in one area of life!

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »
I finished the program 2 years ago. I went to 10K after that, but only go out about once a month now. Need to do more. I've a Garmin Forerunner watch with a heart monitor, need to figure out how to use it effectively.

Amongst other things

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 10:42:28 PM »
happy to discuss garmin use if you think that'd help - pm me. I run a fair bit competitively and use garmin forerunner (various ones!) a lot for training

split

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »
I just completed Week 5 Run 3. so just ran for 20minutes with no rest breaks. I wasn't fast but i didnt stop!  :creature: :penguinswirl: :hyper: :yahooo: :rock: ;D :1011: :sheep: :jump: :Monkey:

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
well done! speed doesn't matter at this stage, even if you want to get fast eventually it's about keeping going for now - that's awesome :)