Author Topic: Couch to 5k...  (Read 11704 times)

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
Couch to 5k...
« on: May 21, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
Has anyone tried the NHS couch 2 5k programme? How difficult was it? Was it paced well? I've never ran / jogged with any success before but i really love the idea of being able to get up and go out for a job in the morning, I think it would be a great way of keeping fit and clearing my mind etc. I've just downloaded all the podcasts for the couch25k but i'm looking for some feedback from others who have already tried it!

Also anyone feel like joining me on the mission?! xxx
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

split

Re: Couch to 5k...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »
I have just done my first run of week 3.

This is my 3rd attempt at it and this is the furthest I have gotten. The last two times I tried it was winter and I gave up because the ice made it dangerous to run.

Having been a smoker for 13 years and being a serious chubster I never thought I would manage week 1, but I have and though the step ups in the time youre running seem scary at times they are possible so long as you push yourself (You have to have a lot of will power. My house mate doesn't have much so she is repeating week 2 right now as she didnt push herself last week and isn't ready for week 3 as a result). One thing I reccommend is doing the NHS Strength and Flexibility podcasts after the running podcasts to stretch out after your cardio work out! I find that I feel more sore the next day if I dont. Also, drink milk within 30 minutes of finishing your run: It helps hydrate you and the protein helps repair and build new muscle achieved through your workout.

I am happy to be an egger onner if you need the encouragement!

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »
Do it.
Do it.
Do it.
 ::P:

Amongst other things

split

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »
The G-man is right. You should do it. It has made me feel much more confident about my fitness level!

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »
hey thanks for all the replies!! :-)  :hug1: :hug1:

I will definatly give it a go, do you guys fancy using this thread to keep posting updates about how were getting on? I could really do with some motivation from others as my will power is notoriously lacking, but if i have support from others doing it then im more likely to carry on!
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:09:54 AM »
i downloaded it

i did the first 2runs and then kind of didn't. I got all excited about it, then it snowed. I have used random ones when i have just wanted to run. The music is well chosen and the voice isnt patronising...but i am just rubbish at motivation. good luck with it
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »
The beauty of the C25K program is that you can do it at your own pace and not care what anyone else thinks.

If you struggle with week 4, go back and do week 3 a second time, then try 4 again. There is no issue in doing something like that if you need to.

Amongst other things

Offline annakin

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:37:44 AM »
echo Gerard's comments - i used this last year to start running and after finishing the program i was regularly running 5km a few times a week.  i totally picked my own pace and went back and redid weeks if i was finding it hard.

loved it - do it!

split

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:50:48 AM »
I did R2W3 last night and it really is a great feeling to know I am doing it.

I do find Laura a tad patronising  but I am listening to her in the S&F podcasts too so maybe it is just a little overkill on her.

Also agree with Gerard. You do have to be willing to push yourself to the end of each run if it is a new experience for you but you also have to know when to listen to your body and repeat a week so as not to feel defeated or do yourself an injury!

split

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
completed week 3 with a flurish yesterday afternoon. quite proud of myself... terrified for week 4 though... gonna go on a long bike ride tomorrow too!