Author Topic: Staples  (Read 12405 times)

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
Re: Staples
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
  :sofa:

You guys know a lot, it sounds like the staples can be used without anaesthetic. However when they were using tools to hold the wound sides together they were not putting them on a clean and sterile surface and I think they were too casual.

Also when they did a running suture shouldn't it have bought the sides of the wound together rather than leaving it gaping.

I am sure all the medics concerned did there best to try and treat me well I think they were just in a hurry.

Hash

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
I dont know if you had a running suture Hash, that was the main example I saw staples being used with in surgery.

To answer your question, internal running sutures wouldnt bring skin totally together. It joins the internal material but still leaves the gap in the top layers so further stitching/stapeling/gluing/steri'ing is needed to join the skin.

There are a few types of different sutures which are used depending on the presentation of the laceration and how best to join it.

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »

Ah so they did the right thing in both cases, that's reassuring

Offline miss

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
It's hard to say for sure and I'll admit people do things wrong.  But even if just the manner of how nursing staff treat you is off its ok and right to complain. Hope its healing up ok and your keeping safe.

Reeta, Sorry didn't want to make anyone feel old or out of date, it may be a field I don't get back to but its handy to share info, different places do things differently so its good to get a broad opinion.
Things are getting worse but I feel a lot better
And that's all that really matters to me
-Counting Crows

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
Thank you for the info guys x

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »

I'm having them removed Monday. Does it hurt?

Offline squiggle

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • smile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »

I'm having them removed Monday. Does it hurt?

i didn't find that it did.

also with the running suture, sometimes they deliberately don't bring edges together so that the wound heals from the inside out so to speak. This stops any infection getting trapped under the surface which could mean it wont heal properly and may have to be reopened to clean out the infection which would leave a bigger scar.
The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half-inch eraser - in case you thought optimism was dead.
Robert Brault
My Blog - http://wp.me/2MX7h

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »

THanks Squiggle!!

I am worried cos they seem to have buried themselves in my skin and settled themselves that it might hurt having them removed.

THey did steri the sides together of the running stitch but the nurses were so worried about it as it was healing that they were considering sending me back for more stitching.

Hash

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
Hi Hash.

I've had staples removed from around the sides of a skin graft and it wasn't too bad. Some stung a little, but it was nothing unbearable. I hope it goes OK. :hug2:
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 08:05:48 PM »

All okay, staples removed and feeling relief!