Author Topic: Staples  (Read 9917 times)

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
Staples
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »
Should a doctor use local anaesethic when applying a large number of staples to a wound?

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
Re: Staples
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:36:56 PM »
Its the same as stitches.

They should but it doesnt mean that they do if its a wound resulting from self harm.

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »
I don't know but the nurse didn't when I had them. Hugs x

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:28:09 AM »
Yes.

Want to talk about it?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:03:33 PM »
 :sofa:

THis is the second time I have been treated badly out of two occasions. Last week I was given internal stitches or a long one that went through the wound but it didn't even bring the wound edges together so they had to steri ontop.

Then this week I went to a different hospital in the hope that  I would get different treatment but they did not keep themselves sterile and they gave a large number of staples without anaesthetic.

THey are horrible!

Hash

Offline smiler

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • one way or another it is possible to succeed
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:43:48 PM »
that is awful and i am pretty certain is it illegal and mall practice

i will do some asking around and try and get back t you on that one if someone does beat me too it that is

have you talked to Mind

they are often pretty hot on this sort of topic

i am sure it is wrong because it is basically bullying and discrimaition of some one who is mentally which is illegal

and they are not aloud to behave like that

if i remember right not so long ago

there was i huge public out cry about the way s/h'ers are treated by hospitals and medical staff

sorry if i am wrong

i am not trained in this area

i am just going on what i have read and heard

but as i said i recommend talking to Mind

if they dont know they should be able to help point you in the right direction

huge hugs

please keep us up dated
no one wants to know
no one cares
those who do want to know,
  want to know so they can use it against me
hurt, pain, anger, destruction, death and hatred, the story of my life
all i hope for is some one i can love trust and believe loves and cares for me and wants whats best for me

Offline miss

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
Actually no, the little staples in a&e do not need anaesthetic. I guess its hard if there are a lot to do but I have never seen this done before with anaesthetic. Its quick and the nurses staple themselves occaisionally to show its not unbearable. the whole staple gun is kept in individual sterile packaging so it is clean.
Also the steristrips is sometimes put over just to cover the stitches or staples. Some people dont like seeing them and I know that some SHers will unpick them so the steri's are there to avoid that in some cases.
I dont disbelieve that you may have been treated badly. I know how some staff can be but this is not on its own evidence of discriminatory behaviour.
you should report anything that made you feel you were not being treated fairly though. that is discrimination. Even if nothing comes back to you it can lead to better education of staff or just staff being careful so they dont get reported on.
I'm sorry they were mean to you. Some people in care shouldnt be there. I have always treated SHers kindly d respectfully, as I would anyone else who was vunerable.
Dont know if that helps.  :hug2:
Things are getting worse but I feel a lot better
And that's all that really matters to me
-Counting Crows

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:24:22 PM »
When I was working in the hospital we were told that they did need anaesthetic.
Didnt need it to remove the staples or stitches but always required on administration.

That was a few years ago now though so things must have changed in the staple dept.

Offline miss

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 11:38:07 PM »
I was working untill 4 months ago (singed off sick). Staples were not prefered choice, but they were good for some wounds, esp head that were too big for glueing but I guess hospitals have different ways. I was once scrubbing tarmac out of a guys arm, I kept asking if there was something I could give him, as I'm not in position to give and eventually i nagged anough to get a spray I could use on open wound. Some nurses can be old bags.
My point is though I'm afraid not all stuff is done with anaesthetic. it causes more openings and is really hard to take affect in some wounds as it just leaks back out. sorry if thats too graphic  :tmi: Usually used in stitching but if the person is needle phobic or its just one stitch some people choose to forgo it too.
I know people dont always treat SHers or ODers right so its right people should complain but I can see how this case would be argued not unfair on the treatment side of things.
Things are getting worse but I feel a lot better
And that's all that really matters to me
-Counting Crows

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 11:43:21 PM »
Yeah, you deff have the more up to date info there.
When I was in that scene they were really just starting to be used more widely but really more for surgery wounds in conjunction with a running suture.

*feels old!*