Author Topic: Housing Benefit *mt*  (Read 11689 times)

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
Housing Benefit *mt*
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
My claim for housing benfit has been rejected because I'm an intermitting student. I was forced by my University to leave for a year due to physical health problems and have been recieving no support from student finance.

I earn less than £200 a month. I can't work more due to illness. I have no food in my cupboards and £4.43 in my bank. My savings have gone paying rent while I've been waiting for my claim to be processed.

How do they expect me to survive?

Offline babylon5

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Housing Benefit *mt*
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »
you can appeal the decition hun
and ask for it  to be looked at again

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »
How do I appeal? And how long is that likely to take?

Offline lost

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »
It may help if you can prove that you are no longer a registered student, and that you dont receive any income from Student Loans etc.

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »
I've already proved that, which is why I don't get it. They said if I proved that I wasn't a student it'd be fine, yet they've still said under student legislation I don't qualify. I just don't get it :no:

split

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 02:48:47 PM »
First things first, get some money for food. You can get a crisi loan to help you through this but would have to be today as they don't open over the weekend. The number is on the direct gov website.

I don't know much about housing benefit from a student perspective but you need to have food to live so get the crisis loan. I would put the URL but on an ancient blackberry and it would take hours by which point crisis loan will be shut for the week. X

Offline babylon5

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 02:52:50 PM »
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018926

read this link hun it should explain everything for you if not try your local citezans advice centre

Offline angeldevil123

• ---- o18s
  • Usually here
    • My world in a blog
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
babylon5 is right read the link it should provide you with the information you need :)
RIP Night Owl
RIP Nanny Pat (I miss you)

Offline bernie

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:55:47 PM »
You need to ask them for the legislation which says you are not entitled. If you are a single student on your own with no dependants you won't be entitled. If you are not a student they should assess you as working, if that is what you do part time. If you rent somewhere and are under 25 you don't get as much as so over 25. If you have a letter from College to say your studentship is 'suspended' send that in. As HB is quite complicated, I would advise you to go to CAB for advice, as they will know what to do and will follow it up for you. Or is there anyone at college support that can help you>

Offline angeldevil123

• ---- o18s
  • Usually here
    • My world in a blog
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »
What about speaking to the uni directly and going through to student services
RIP Night Owl
RIP Nanny Pat (I miss you)