Author Topic: Thought Diary  (Read 6013 times)

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
Thought Diary
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »
My counsellor has given me a thought diary to complete. It's a template with some instructions, e.g., 'write about a situation or event in which you were upset/distressed. Record the situation. Write down the the words that best describe your feelings. Activating event, beliefs, consequences, unhelpful thinking patterns'.

I've never done anything like this before. Is it useful?

Amongst other things

split

Re: Thought Diary
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:59:14 AM »
I had to do similar things when I did CBt when I was younger. I found it helpful in identifying what topics/situations made me anxious/uncomfortable so that I could try to start addressing them. It worked in part because it encouraged me to leave home, but I still have a number fixation and a long list me phobias... So I guess its effectiveness depends on whether the things you would be writing about could be changed.

Skye

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
I had to do one and it did help to work through although I had to work really hard to keep things honest and open  :hug1:

Offline Nightowl

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »
We did something similiar, called chain analysis, at the TC.

It was done after an episode of what was called a self defeating behaviour and helped to look at what had happened and how we could make it have a different outcome in the future.
When you feel like letting go, hold on.

Courage does not always roar.
Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow".

Maryanne Radanbacher

Last od 22/05/2012
Last sh 10/05/2012
Last drink 14/04/2012

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
i've done this whilse receiving CBT too.. and it really helping me, i still use some of the techniques today xx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
Thanks for your posts. I'm not too worried about disclosing things, including very personal thoughts. I can see that there's a logic to the template she gave me. I've yet to sit down and complete it, though I've jotted down some thoughts. Also have to rank their intensity.

Do you feel it had a long-term impact?

Amongst other things

split

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
At the time... I think it did a bit. But long term, they realised I was disociative not depressed.

I think when incorporated into therapies like cbt it can be beneficial to pick out thought patterns and spirals so that they can be broken.

Don't think it could do much harm to get thoughts and feelings.

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:32:47 PM »
I am struggling to do one right  now
Only those who dare, truly live.
- Ruth P. Freedman

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »
I've had one appointment based on this, it was understandably slow, but I didn't hold back. Also, she said we're using to use some resources to tackle the thoughts, which I was glad to hear, otherwise you could sit and talk about them forever and not get anywhere. Resources are key.

Amongst other things