Author Topic: Being pushed into help & sh scars *trig*  (Read 3789 times)

Offline K112

• First posts
Being pushed into help & sh scars *trig*
« on: April 03, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »
Hi, Im sort of being forced into some help and I really am freaking out about it. I'm going to be contacted for secondary mental health services, does anyone have an idea what that even could involve?!
& what is best to use on sh scars to stop the itching?! Its driving me mental.

I dont know what to anymore...
K :)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Being pushed into help & sh scars *trig*
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »
You're first appt will be an assessment. They'll ask you questions about your mental health to assess any possible illness and what you're treatment will be. They'll ask things about the SH such as how often, what your methods are, how long etc and they'll try and find some reasons behind it such as current events or any past trauma. They'll as about your mood, whether you hear or see things. They'll also ask about your childhood and whether you had trauma that could be causing problems for you now. They'll also ask about your alcohol/drug use. Basically anything that could be causing MH problems. They'll discuss a treatment plan with you and may suggest medication as well as counselling/CPNs etc.

As for the scars all I can suggest is placing something cold on them ans if they're healed you could use moisturiser or body butter. You could also try gently tapping them, sounds weird but it helps.

And welcome!  :)
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Being pushed into help & sh scars *trig*
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 03:28:11 AM »
Usually people won't insist on their involvement if you don't want it. It might be a good idea to talk through with them what they think and can offer...before you decide. But it would be extremely rare that they would be in a position to pressure you into having more to do with them. 

Scars...a good exfoliating scrub (go gently) to get rid of the flakes bits and driest skin, then tonnes of good moisturising cream - diprobase, aqueous, hydrocortisone (in the beginning)  cocoa butter, dermol, oilatum, e45 etc are all good and all but cocoa butter can be prescribed if that helps.  I'd avoid using shower gels, soaps etc that are drying anyway and if it is really bad, most of the creams I listed can be used as a soap substitute.  Don't waste money on miracle lotions and potions though... I know some people really like bio oil...but I've never found it does very much and costs a lot.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”