Author Topic: Can you become addicted to SH?  (Read 7939 times)

Offline beggy molt

• First posts
Can you become addicted to SH?
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »
this my first ever time on here and the last time i SH was yesterday night i havent SH all day today but the urge is there i dont no why i keep feeling like this stupid question but can you get addicted to SH. x

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Can you become addicted to SH?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:01:23 PM »
In an odd way id say yes. Not sure how to explain why I think that though.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Bethy

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
I wouldn't say addicted, but would definitely say there's an addictive element in it such as being reliant on using it as a coping mechanism.

Welcome to the forum :)

Offline miss

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:24:08 PM »
I dont have references but I'm sure I read some people can find it addictive. There is an element of rush for some people, that can be addictive just like exercise can become addictive for some but doesn't mean everyone experiences it.
I hope you can find a way to distract and keep safe.
Things are getting worse but I feel a lot better
And that's all that really matters to me
-Counting Crows

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 03:09:03 PM »

I'd say it is very addictive. I find seeing the blood and the tissue etc makes me feel I want to do more.

Hash

Offline hell0insanity

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »
this my first ever time on here and the last time i SH was yesterday night i havent SH all day today but the urge is there i dont no why i keep feeling like this stupid question but can you get addicted to SH. x

Welcome to the boards, I hope you find help here! We're all very friendly and understanding :)

As hard as it may be for some people to understand, self harm isn't always a release. It can in fact, become an addiction. A horrible addiction at that. But like people get addicted to drugs, we get addicted to harming ourselves.

Yes, you can get addicted to self harm. Very much so.
A few years ago, I'd be sat in my class room at school and I'd start shaking, like  physical shaking because I couldn't cut myself, I'd shake so much that it's all I wanted to do, needed to do. I once got to a point of throwing all my tools away, but only a few hours later, found myself again shaking, in a fit of tears, raging, smashing things, because I needed that release. Sometimes, you get to the point where self harm is all you know and all you need.
Sometimes, self harm is a state of being.

You can beat it though. I promise, you'll be okay.

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:41:17 AM »
I think it is addictive - But I wouldn't say that it is for everyone. Some people will only sh once or twice, or do it for a short period of time, whilst others find it difficult to let sh go.

I think it is important to try and stop it from developing into an addiction, the sooner you recognise that it is a problem and not the best way of coping with things the better really.

Can you talk at all about why you have been feeling the need to harm recently? xx
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."