Author Topic: Journal article - Lessons from the borderline  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
Journal article - Lessons from the borderline
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
Thought this might interest you since it comments on some of the negativities surrounding the diagnosis. I am aware that there are some SH specific details in there, but thought that it might benefit forum posters with a personal take on this diagnosis. If you don't want to open the link, don't.

Lessons from the borderline: Anthropology, psychiatry, and the risks of being human. http://fap.sagepub.com/content/23/1/70.full.pdf

'I understand BPD somewhat differently than my clinical colleagues who see it as a dysfunction of personality and my academic colleagues who see it as a mechanism of social regulation. In my view, BPD does not reside within the individual person; a person stranded alone on a desert island cannot have BPD. Nor does it reside within diagnostic taxa; if we eliminated BPD from the DSM, people would still struggle with the cluster of issues captured in the diagnosis. Rather, BPD resides – and only resides – in relationship . BPD is a disorder of relationship, not of personality.'

Amongst other things

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: Journal article - Lessons from the borderline
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:06:14 PM »
I like the quote.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline smiler

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • one way or another it is possible to succeed
Re: Journal article - Lessons from the borderline
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:23:11 PM »
fantastic quote

huge hugs
no one wants to know
no one cares
those who do want to know,
  want to know so they can use it against me
hurt, pain, anger, destruction, death and hatred, the story of my life
all i hope for is some one i can love trust and believe loves and cares for me and wants whats best for me