Author Topic: The Card Sort Task for Self-harm: Understanding self-harm  (Read 10629 times)

Offline imogenamelia

• Researcher
  • First posts
The Card Sort Task for Self-harm: Understanding self-harm
« on: December 10, 2017, 04:20:26 PM »
 :welcomeani1:

On behalf of the self-harm research group within the University of Nottingham, supervised by Professor Ellen Townsend, who heads the Self-Harm Research Group here. We would like to ask you to participate in anonymous, innovative, online research.

Our study is an electronic version of the Card Sort Task for Self-harm (CaTS; Townsend et al., 2016) in which you are asked to arrange thoughts, feelings, events and behaviours in a sequential order along a 6-month timeline. Completion of the study will involve conducting the card sort along the timeline twice; for the first and most recent self-harm episode. We request that you are 18 years old or above and have lived experience of self-harm to take part.

Our focus is to understand the thoughts, feelings, events and behaviours leading up to a self-harm episode and thereafter. This study is based upon previous research using the same task in which we wish to further our understanding of self-harm that allows us to reach out to a wider participant population. Participants that have already completed the study have reported having a greater insight into their own self-harm behaviour, which they have found beneficial, as a result of the CaTS.

We would appreciate it if you would support us by completing this study to further help us understand self-harming behaviour.
The link is:

http://www.psychology.nottingham.ac.uk/staff/lpaab4/cardsort2/cardsort_start.php?=%25SURVEY_CODE%25

Kind regards,
Imogen Thynne, Hannah Street, Avithaa Thayaparan, Sarah Cleaver, Alissa Burrows and Rachael Cornwell  :sign0203:

=================================================================================
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:37:34 PM by Rob »

Offline imogenamelia

• Researcher
  • First posts
Re: The Card Sort Task for Self-harm: Understanding self-harm
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:21:52 PM »
 :sign0085:

Please don't forget to participate if you can! 

http://www.psychology.nottingham.ac.uk/staff/lpaab4/cardsort2/cardsort_start.php

We would really, really appreciate your participation  :backflip:

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 01:51:45 AM »
I've not seen a project set up like this. I really liked the format.  It was actually interesting to see how different things can be over time.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline imogenamelia

• Researcher
  • First posts
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:11:29 AM »
Thank you so much for your feedback Lorien. This research has been done before face-to-face but never online, and we are getting some really great results so far.

Offline imogenamelia

• Researcher
  • First posts
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 11:47:36 PM »
We have had so may participants already for this study so far and i'm certain the results are looking very interesting! Although we still need a few more participants. Can anyone help us?  :happy020:

http://www.psychology.nottingham.ac.uk/staff/lpaab4/cardsort2/cardsort_start.php

Offline sniper

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • "Stop asking if I'm OK, Im tired of lying"
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 07:47:30 AM »
Hi, although I've never done one of these before, I completed it around a week ago. Hope it helps. It is quite an interesting thing. I may look into this a little more.
Thank you
"From every wound there is a scar, and every scar tells a story. A story that says.....I survived!"

Offline imogenamelia

• Researcher
  • First posts
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »
Thank you so much sniper, your participation is very much appreciated and extremely helpful.

Offline Essex78

• 18+
  • First posts
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »
Are you still looking?
Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken."
C.S Lewis