Author Topic: Couch to 5k  (Read 9678 times)

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
Couch to 5k
« on: June 24, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »
Wondered if anyone else had done this?

I used to run a lot (every day after work) not too far between 5-10k and used to love it. That was years ago, I'm now overweight and very unfit... I've been having a hard time lately and decided I needed something to reduce stress/anxiety without meds..

I started couch to 5k on Sunday, today was my second run...and I'm aching ALL over...

When I read the schedule I thought it would be too easy and was going to skip to week 2/3 but I'm struggling with week one!

Anyone done it? Does it get easier? Did anyone else find week one hard? I feel pathetic and embarrassed  :blushing:   
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: Couch to 5k
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
48hrs post first exercise is the worst time - you'll feel less sore tomorrow. Don't rush too fast if you haven't exercised for a bit, let yourself get used to it and then you can work out harder.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »

Amongst other things

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
I did the first couple of runs, then my knee got sore. I asked the GP about it, and he said that perhaps more low impact exercise would be better until I'm lighter and my knees won't take such a bashing. Disappointing, as I'd found a really cool zombie app that does C25K mixed in with an adventure story. I swim frequently now though, and am hoping it won't be too long until I can go back to it. :)

Good luck! ;D
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »
Ah thanx Gerard... That helps..

Terri.. I'm wondering whether my knees will hold out, I've had operations on the one after falling off a horse and getting my foot caught in the stirrup and being dragged  ::)

The thing is I used to love running so much... I swim like a brick and literally hate every second in the water (unless on a water slide!) but swimming would probably be better for me...

I can't use my bike because I take my dog with me and she gets under the wheels...

I'll stick at it for now, might join SW again tomorrow to help with the weight issue ...
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 10:02:24 PM »
Definitely stick with it as long as you are comfortable. It's important to do something you enjoy, or it's difficult to keep going. I'm pretty confident that it'll get easier. With my swimming, I started off doing ten lengths and now do over twice that in the same time. :)
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:24 PM »
I run lots - used to compete a lot, now just for myself - and have come back from injury quite a few times, the first two weeks are always tough, try not to compare yourself to where you were before, it's never helpful to benchmark yourself by that when first starting back, it can help to review once a week, vs the last week only. Also they say if you stick at it for 21days after then you are much more more adapted and there is an element of habit to doing it again and suddenly it becomes easier, and I think that's right. Small steps and don't increase mileage by more than 10% per week however good you feel as that really increases your risk of injury. Good luck! It does come back I promise.. 

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »
Thanx mbwa ... On the couch to 5 k it's 3 runs a week, do you think that's enough? I used to run about 5 times a week and maybe do a spin class or go to the gym once too...

I have a habit of 'all or nothing' thinking which means I launch myself into things and b**n out quickly... But also 3 times a week doesn't seem enough?

Offline Pride

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:14:48 AM »
Oh wow there's someone else that does it? That's amazing haha.

I started it about 9 weeks ago now i think it was. I'm hardly the fittest person out there, and the only well rounded part of me is my roundness, so i'll say that week one for me was so hard, i had to repeat it (don't feel bad if you have to supposedly a lot of people do) and on the second week i was having a bit more trouble but i finished some perfectly.

I'm now on week 6 which is day 1) 5 minute, 8 minute, and 5 minute run, day 2) two 10 minute runs, and day 3) 22 minute run, and i can do it. I've had to repeat week 6 3 times now becuase i've been so down but i can do them.

It will get a LOT easier and it makes me feel so good even when i finish half a session strongly. Well done for starting it, and keep it up! Let us know how you're going.

Pride.
The Seven Deadly Sins are a part of us, don't fight them, accept them.

Offline Pride

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
I didn't see your last post when i put that sorry.

I will say that i think that 3 runs a week is perfect, it gives your body time to recover on the off days and then an extra day of rest at the end. And the start I only did the C25K and now i walk to work too on my off days. As mbwa said keep it at a comfortable pace and try not to increase it too much each week.

I also found another free app that works really well in conjunction with it that tells you the calories you b**n, how fast you did a mile, your fastest pace, your finishing time and maps out your whole run with GPS instead of with 3G or wireless, it's called Walkmeter and is a green logo with a white shoe in a white circle if you're interested. Also if you're worried about your knees, I know i was, and you have a little cash to spare for this I would recommend some running shoes with the air pouches on the soles if you don't have them, they're great shock absorbers.

Hope i helped a lot in my posts.

Pride.
The Seven Deadly Sins are a part of us, don't fight them, accept them.