Author Topic: Scars?  (Read 8187 times)

Offline Louis30july

• First posts
Scars?
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:02:02 PM »
Hi, im new here   :hellokitty:

I was just wondering, to people who self harm, how do you manage your scars?

xxx

Offline Nightowl

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Scars?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »
I cover up when with friends but if I'm on holiday alone or just out and about on my own I will sometimes wear short sleeves as I find people on the whole don't notice or at least don't ask questions.

For a long time I wouldn't go swimming because of scars but again find once I'm in the water nobody notices.
When you feel like letting go, hold on.

Courage does not always roar.
Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow".

Maryanne Radanbacher

Last od 22/05/2012
Last sh 10/05/2012
Last drink 14/04/2012

Offline findingmyway

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »
Firstly, welcome to the forum :hug1:

I keep my scars covered at all times both out and about and at home. Im also using a cream called Haelan Cream which is a mild steroidal cream to flatten and fade my scars x
Thank you all so much for your support, I really appreciate it.
Please, all keep as safe as you can.

I will be thinking of you xxxxx :hug1: :hug

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:20:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :welcome:

I used silicon patches on my scars which worked wonders on the raised red ones.. apart from that i sometimes use foundation to cover some of them and sometimes i just don't care and leave them alone xxxx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Broken Wings

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Formely Ms Boots
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »
Hi, I keep mine covered at all times I never swim or wear short sleves even when at home,to me there something that needs to be hidden. Hope that helps x
Sometimes we don't need advice
We just need someone to listen

Offline Louis30july

• First posts
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
Thankyou!

Do any of you show or have your scars exposed in front of a certain person?

I dont feel I can with my parents, they stare and almost count to see if there are any new ones, its horrible so I keep them covered. However, when with my partner I feel comfortable and am able to show them without the staring, interogation etc.

Fast Aid advance scar gel is a very good gel i have found helpful aswell, just a little tip for you  :thumbsup:

xxx

Offline brokenblackrose

• First posts
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:01:03 PM »
I don't hide mine anymore, except when I worked. Once people found out I stopped hiding them. And I find people don't ask about them.
Hiding behnd long sleeves and trousers made me feel so low becuase I just wanted to try and look pretty. I have come to realise they are a part of me now.

Offline howling

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
hya and welcome. i dont hide my scars from close friends and family. even my 13 yr old has a vague understanding of what is happening to me. i think the only reason i keep them covered is the shame and judgement i feel  from people who do not understand this illness. as you have read by other peoples posts it is purely a personal thing. you have to do what you feel comfortable with. for myself, it lifted a huge burden to be able to say yes i self harm, not because i want to but because i cant help it, and i want your understanding and not keep it secret. xx
" You cannot do a kindness too soon,for you never know how soon it will be too late."

Offline FarmerDec

• First posts
  • Put On Your Happy Face
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 03:13:13 AM »
I hide mine at college and around pretty much everybody I know. But I have a select few people who I can roll my sleeves up around and have no implication because most of them have had a history of the exact same problem. As for fading, I leave mine as a reminder to me, that I have gotten rid of a trouble in my life, each scars means something, much like a tattoo.

Offline lpoolluvly

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
  • new an confused
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
IE well I never wear short tops ever am pretty much embarrassed about my scars my I keep them covered from my parents but dint mind my close Friend or partner see in them my kids think I fell through a table so they dint mind my scars  :holdingflower:
The walkin wounded