NSHN Forum Support & On Topic Forums. Some additional boards are viewable to members only > Survivor Room

Should I complain about A&E? *Trig SH*

<< < (2/2)

BA:
I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. If you do go down the complaints route, maybe keep it as feedback - succinct, keep most of the emotion out of it - fine to say disappointing, stressful. If there was something systemic note that, but I wouldn't necessarily get into the blame game as you just be hitting your head off a brick wall on that front. Unless you feel something was clinically negligent or there were seriously poor communication skills.

Disability access for invisible/nuerodevelopmental ones may not feature high on the agenda in institutions (in policy perhaps, but less so practice because of resources and change is very slow to the adapt to the ASD population). Have a look online and see if you can find a hospital that has been recognised for good ASD practice and suggest this as a model, that way your comments are constructive.

Something for future reference. https://www.autism.org.uk/about/health/hospital-passport.aspx

I use noise cancelling earphones and find them quite good.

Tucan:
A few of my autistic friends also use noise cancelling headphones and they are great. I tried a pair.

Vermilion:
Noise cancelling headphones are a good idea but I worry that I won't hear when I'm called in..

The 'complaint' would be feedback/suggestions with the only aim to make make things a little better for those on the spectrum. I think that I am getting frustrated that everything is so much harder because I happened to be born with autism. I'm thinking that if nobody mentions things then nothing will change y'know? I've had better experiences (though A&E will be chaos no matter what) and I was just going to make suggestions based on that. I was also going to mention how lovely the staff actually we're but I was just let down by the waiting time and the sensory overload was unnecessary stress; honestly, I have nothing but compliments re other NHS services (despite my frustrations with CMHT lack of funding) and this would be emphasised too.

I also think that 13 hours is a ridiculous time to wait regardless of the issue that your at A&E for. If they'll automatically investigate then there's probably no point in reporting it?

Lorien:
Headphones 🎧 - I have Sony WH-H900 h.ear they have a lot of different settings. The main thing I really rely on is the feature that allows 1tap pause on the right ear up and hanloding your hand over it reduces the input volume for you to hear what else is happening. It also has 3 settings noise cancelling, ambient sound and off. Mostly I use ambient sound because I can hear what it happening, but it is dulled. I hear more of what is happening than with my noise cancelling ear buds, but it isn't loud and I can hear whatever I want chosse to hear. It is also possible to have a few notes to give to the staff to tell them to approach you because of your headphones. I can switch to ambient sound with no other music or audio book and be able to have a conversation.

I think my experience has been that mostly if I know what the difficulty is it is possible to find a way around it for most things. I also think it's been really beneficial to me to try to balance things when I think about them and meet people in the middle. As much as possible I am prepared for anything I might need to do that is hard, and before it was needed. I made sure that the basics of what I need from people written down, but it's probably not helpful to expect adjustments. I've found in lots of things low/no expectations makes a positive response more  appreciated and a negative one less frustrating.

NAS also do an https://www.autism.org.uk/products/free-resources/autism-alert-cards.aspx

I know this might sound weird but have you done anything to help you get to know your Autism?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version