Author Topic: Experience / advise re. residential treatment please...  (Read 5225 times)

Offline raindrop

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
Experience / advise re. residential treatment please...
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »
 :help:

My MH team are now talking of possible residential treatment for me  :(  I've been in 8 units with my ED over the years but not for past 6 years. Some of my experiences in these places contributed to my PTSD.  In the past year I've made ?? number of serious suicide attempts including having to be resuscitated multiple times. I've truly had enough and a huge part of me wishes they'd just let me go but this doesn't seem to be  ??????!?

I am informal (not sectioned) and desperate to keep it this way. Now talking of residential treatment is petrifying me and I wondered if anyone has experience of any specific places (not general psychiatric wards) for severe SH and suicide attempts and PTSD. I have been told they're 'looking into it' and I want a heads up if they suggest anywhere if at all possible. My diagnoses are severe (treatment resistant ??????!?) depression; PTSD; EDNOS (previously severe anorexia); anxiety...

Any comments greatly received. Thank you.

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
Re: Experience / advise re. residential treatment please...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »
 Ive been to the Maudsley self harm unit for six months and it has now changed to combine the severe major depression ward with the self harm ward at the Bethlem Royal Hospital I can't remember what the ward is called now because it changed from the one it was. i would say residential programs are okay but you have to keep part of your footing in normal life as well, so I went home at weekends and really enjoyed my weekends. The therapy program was intense with therapy morning and afternoon art therapy and music therapy and movement therapy to get one used to being in their own skin. The ward was called the Crisis Recovery Unit and they set specific  briefs for my stay like I could not use ligatures and if I was actively suicidal I would be moved to a usual psych ward for the time I was too ill to receive treatment on the open ward that the crisis recovery unit was. We also did cooking and people who had ED's could choose not to.

Hash