Author Topic: Society doesn't give a crap about mental health.  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Society doesn't give a crap about mental health.
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
Sorry, long rant ahead.

I've been struggling a lot for a long long time mentally and I also have a few physical problems and I can honestly say that it is easier to get treatment for physical problems than it is for mental problems. When i was getting some dressings sorted the nurse asked if I was seeing the MH team and I explained that I've been referred several times but they aren't doing anything. She said that it's because MH problems is as common as diabetes and the funding just isn't there. Yeah? I'm a diabetic as well as a self harmer and my treatment for diabetes is a lot better than my treatment for MH. Why is that? My GPs are good with MH but all they can really do is patch up the burns, prescribe medication and refer me to services that are as useful as a Durex machine in the Vatican. There really isn't any long term MH treatment but if I need access to diabetes treatment I can get it easily.

Workplace's certainly don't give a toss. I've never admitted to my own MH issues at work but I did work with someone who was Bipolar. People took the p** and she was often in trouble with management when she had time off, yet people who had physical problems didn't get that crap. I myself have had panic attacks at work and people took the p** until I told them it was diabetes (it wasn't). Apparently it's unacceptable to have MH problems but it's OK to have physical problems.

It's also extremely difficult to claim any benefit for MH reasons. The forms ask very little about MH, one form (I think its the one for PIP) actually scores you less points if your reasons are down to MH. When you finally get an assessment they think that if you can have a shower then you have no MH issues. So many MH claims have to be appealed.I'm not saying that it's easy to claim benefits for physical problems but it's seems to be much harder for MH. I know people who have claimed for physical problems and haven't had half of the crap that I've had. My DOCTOR has said that I'm too 'unstable" to work yet they still won't believe me.

People in general don't care either. How many of us have had to lie when we can't go somewhere due to MH issues and have had to say we have the flu or something. Yet if I said that I couldn't go because I have the flu people understand because it's physical. How many of us have been told to snap out of it or pull our fingers out or to just get on with it and stop taking pills? Would they tell a paraplegic to just get on with it and walk or tell a diabetic that they don't need insulin? Oh yeah, MH is different huh?

Perhaps others have experienced different but my experience has been pretty crappy.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Society doesn't give a crap about mental health.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 09:44:36 PM »
I am sorry that your experience has been so bad. My work are supportive of my mental health. Some work places can be. I do sometimes get the p** taken out of me but mostly they are supportive. When they do take the Mick they are at least acknowledging I have problems. They are being real about it all, and not stepping on egg shells.

It is hard to claim benefits for MH

now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:08:01 PM »
I'm sorry that you are having such difficult experiences when it comes to your mental health.

My workplace are incredibly supportive. I have schizoaffective disorder and have had to have about a month off each year for my mental health, generally at the same time. I once had three months due to being detained in hospital for two of them and recovering in the community for a month after discharge. They left me back on phased return, and they even dropped me off some bits to the MH ward, which is on the same grounds as the medical hospital I work in. Sometimes we laugh about things, but that's not a bad thing in my case, because often I can find the funny side too - so they're laughing with me, and not at me. I know it's hard when you've been treated badly in the past, but there are good employers out there and I am sure that you will find one when you feel ready to work again.

With benefits, I've never had any problems either. I don't claim ESA, but I have claimed other things purely for mental health reasons and haven't had an issue. I've sent of evidence from the mental health team, my employer, my Mum and my GP and it's been OK. I didn't have a face-to-face assessment with PIP as they went on the strength of my medical evidence, and that's when I'd been out of hospital for a good couple of years and was not at my worst. I don't really know your story, but have you been to the CAB about your struggle with benefits? I know in out area a local charity has someone who deals with claimants with mental health issues and nothing else. Might be worth looking into something like that, if there's something in your part of the country.

I have some great friends. I don't lie to them. I'm open on Facebook about my struggles and say that I'm feeling too anxious/am having a bad day if I don't feel up to going somewhere, and have had no judgement. I'm sorry you've been on the receiving end of such remarks about your mental health. It's really important to have people around you that understand and it's terrible that you haven't got that. I'm wondering if finding real-life friends with difficulties similar to your might be helpful? Again, there are charities in a lot of places that facilitate drops ins and things that might be able to help with that.

Have you sought any support from the voluntary sector? Mental health centres? Charities that provide support? There are things around that can help you without needing to be referred to.
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:11:42 PM »
Thank you both.  :hug1: :hug2:

It's nice to know that there are some nice employers out there, ones that understand and support the workers. Perhaps I've just been unlucky because none of my employers have ever cared.

I have been to the CAB who have been helping me with benefits. I hate having to claim. At the moment everything is in limbo; PIP has been sent for a mandatory reconsideration and I'm trying to get a letter from my GP for a home assessment for ESA due to the panic attacks. When I phoned the ESA people he seemed to think I was lying about my reasons but I'm really not lying. The process has left me feeling dehumanised, humiliated and even worse about myself. Due to the MH support being so crap I've got no SW/CPN etc to support me.

I live in a small Welshland town and there really isn't much voluntary stuff around. MIND offer 8 counselling sessions which I've had before somewhere else and it didn't help. Groups aren't option due to the severe panic attacks. My family are very supportive but they live very far away. I'm looking at moving closer but it's really hard with no money.

Honestly I'm feeling let down and crapped on.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 08:58:30 PM »
I am not surprised. Bless you. There are people out there that do want to help you. It can be hard to find them sometimes.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police: