Author Topic: Other people's attitude towards s/h  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Other people's attitude towards s/h
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:22:48 PM »
 :banghead:
Has had a lot of problems with getting people to just be civil recently especially doctors. I've just changed GP because of it. Really worried what the new place will be like about it.

Do other people have the same problems???
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Other people's attitude towards s/h
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »
I've had bad attitudes in airports with security but my GPs and the nurses are really good with me. I really hope they are nicer to you :( I hate how misunderstood it is. Keep your chin up  :hug1:

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:21:09 AM »
If you're unhappy with a doctor or how you've been treated you can write a complaint to the Practice Manager and they will look into it for you. If that doesn't work there are people higher up that you can speak to as well.

Hope you find a nice GP at your new Surgery.
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:52:52 PM »
I did write a letter of complaint once last year. I got a letter from the GP asking me to make an appointment out of the blue. When I got there the doctor had no idea why they had written to me even when I showed them the letter. He then launched into a long rant about appropriate use of services and said that I go to A&E continually for anything and everything...when I pointed out that I'd only been twice in the last six months both for s/h and had stitches both times he got confused then clearly said that no one does enough damage to themselves by cutting to need stitches. It all went down hill from there. He told me it was pointless seeing the psych and t and to just see him and have some medication. That if I thought it might need stitches I have to check with them first. There was a lot more, but it's making me angry to write it and it won't ma a difference.

Then the other 2, one gave me "magic cream" when my hand kept going numb....he ignored what I said and focused in the fact that scars sometimes itch...hence the "magic cream". The other one I saw yesterday told me to turn up at a local hospital and ask for an X-Ray for my knee, but didn't give me any more information at all. ( there is no way I could do that without more info.....I can't ask people things if I don't know them so that would be impossible), he slapped my knee during his examination and ended by insisting to take a chlamydia test due to my age...and strongly implied it can be past though hand to hand contact.

When I complained originally they ignored everything I said and apologised for my feelings.  I didn't think it bothered me so much but it really is. This morning I got an appointment that I've not booked via email. Now I have to cancel it. Then I checked my email and they have responded to a review I put on NHS choices about the surgery. Is just really really angry now.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:35:22 PM »
Sorry you've been treated like that by GP's, there are some crap ones out there unfortunately.

The chlamydia test thing is to do with something called QOF which are targets that have to be met. They're obviously realising it's coming up to April and they haven't done enough. They shouldn't be forcing them on patients though.

If you've already written to your Practice about the Doctors you can write to your local PCT or CCG (Primary Care Trust & Clinical Commissioning Group). I've done it a few times about Practices. You could PM me your local town and I could find out who you can write to if you want? (I work at a GP so I have my ways :))  If you have copies of your letters to and from the Practice you could send them with it and they will do an audit on your record and look into it for you. They've helped me a few times.

What did they say back to you on NHS Choices?

:hug2:

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »
I think I want to bury it now because hopefully the new GP will be better, but thanks for you help.

They replied to say that they knew who I was and that they did reply to my complaint 'appropriately'  and they offered to meet with the GP. I had discussed that with the psych and he seemed to think it was better not to bother. The also said something about having posted it on the internet rather than approaching then further.

Is just angry

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 07:00:43 PM »
That's so bad! I can understand your anger and frustration. I hope the new GP is better  :hug2:

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »
Me to!

It just makes me angry that people don't get it. But on the complete flip side I emailed the clinical lead at the urgent care centre after waiting 4 hours to speak to the crisis team then being told to go home because they aren't coming. The response was far better than I expected!

I have an appointment at the new doctors tomorrow....Is quite worried. It is only the standard one everyone has when they register at a new place...But still never know how people will react to scars etc and its unavoidable for a blood test.

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
How was it with the new GP?

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:52:37 PM »
It was ok. It was with the nurse, I'm a bit freaked out because she said my blood pressure was far too high for someone my age. She wants me to go back to have it checked twice more and if both of them are high then they will arrange a 24 test. She kept talking about there being nothing to make it that high and I couldn't explain that it's probably more anxiety than anything else. 

But it was ok...100% better than the last place...Who keep texting me appointments I've not made eventing I've explained I'm no longer registered there!