Author Topic: My Scars Are Becoming Visable  (Read 9160 times)

Offline cr

• First posts
My Scars Are Becoming Visable
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:10:05 AM »
I've been self harming for a while now, and I don't know if it's just me but my scars seem really visible me. The thing is in P.E. at school we aren't allowed to wear our jumpers inside and I have scars up my wrists, I don't want people to find out but at the same time I don't want to get a detention at school for not wearing the correct uniform. When my scars are old I use foundation to try and cover them up but whenever I have fresh scars I put a tube bandage around my arm and pretend that I've sprained it. I've used this excuse far too often now and my teacher keeps saying to me that she better have a look at my arm if it keeps hurting from the 'sprain', but if i say my arm is fine my scars will be visible to everyone but if I leave it on my teacher will end up seeing my arm close up :/ what should I do? Or what have you guys done to help disguise your scars? Thank you. 

Offline diamondwithaflaw

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: My Scars Are Becoming Visable
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:21:18 AM »
Going back many years here, but I used a tube bandage and rather than actual sprain said weak wrists and strapped as preventative measure. I guess if you really don't want teacher to look, you could say its ok your GP is assessing regularly, but thanks? Or, might this teacher be a good support for you if she were to know the truth, sounds like she suspects possibly do you think? Might be a useful support if you trust her? :)

Offline Harvey

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »
If your scars are on your wrists could you wear sweat bands? That is what I use to do at school and in terms of doing sport it is a reasonable item to wear, just make sure you use them to wipe your brow every now and again.
I agree with Carrie about how talking to your teacher may be helpful for extra support though. Are any members of staff at school aware of your SH, like a counsellor?
Hakuna Matata

Offline cr

• First posts
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
I might try using the fact that I have weak wrists then, she might suspect it but she isn't a teacher that I would talk to as I don't get on well with her.

Sweat bands is another good idea, I've never thought of that before. No one knows about it so I don't know how I would bring it up in conversation to tell someone. How did you tell someone about your SH?

Offline Harvey

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Do you have a school counsellor? That may be a good place to start.
It is often easier to talk about things by writing them down first and then showing them to someone.
Hakuna Matata

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 12:04:09 AM »
I didn't have too many probs with sh when I was at school but this could be a way for you to open upto someone, if there is no-one in your life who knows.  Could give you a springboard to the help you need
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline cr

• First posts
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:20:26 AM »
Yes I think we do have a counselor, but okay thank you.
And yes I guess so, I'm just worried that if I see/tell the counselor then my friends will notice and will ask me why I'm going there and I don't want to be judged by them as I'm not aware of their view points on SH.

Offline Harvey

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:46:09 AM »
Could you tell them that you are struggling with school work so have asked for a bit of support? Then after seeing the counsellor a couple of times you could ask him/her how best to approach the subject with your friends.
Hakuna Matata

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »
It may help you to confide in someone.  And like Harvey says you don't have to tell your friends the real reason for seeing the counsellor.  Self-harm is hidden and not really spoken about but its a lot more common than you'd think. 
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline cr

• First posts
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »
Okay yes I guess that could work, thank you both for your help.