Author Topic: lithium  (Read 8312 times)

Offline Ellie

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
lithium
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
My psychiatrist is thinking of putting me on Lithium. I'm not overly keen to be honest but I thought I would ask for experiences of it both positive and negative. Thankyou.
A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his.

I know I'm in my own world, but its ok they know me here:)

Offline nosda

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: lithium
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »
I don't have any experience myself but there is a read only thread here with peoples experiences on it:

http://www.nshn.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48674.0

Offline sparkledust

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • when you wish upon a star.........
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »
i was on it for a while and it did start to make a difference even if it was just for a short time

my psych didnt want to keep me on it in the end cause my blood tests never showed me within the therapeutic ranges
the blood tests were ok in thereselves and i dint have many side effects athough i did have a tremmor in my hands which made it difficult working

hope this helps a little it is a big decision for you xx
[img width=250 height=52]
there is no such thing as strangers,simply friends waiting to meet

Offline Ellie

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
thanks both of you. I shall read the thread.
A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his.

Offline Tania

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Strength and Hope
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »
Lithium is a very old school potent drug with some serious side effects *if* you get them. As with any meds some work for some people and some work for others. As a personal experience my aunt was taking it and unfortunately she was not well monitored. Her thyroid was destroyed. If you do take it make sure you follow the guidelines to the letter and follow instructions in terms of things not to do and to stay away from.

I would say its a drug that can be highly effective for some people........but there are lots of more modern used meds that can potentially be just as effective as a mood stabiliser. If your worried discuss it more with your psych.

X
Put your arms around my soul and take me dancing.......

Offline Ellie

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
its the potential side effects that concern me. There's been a lot of studies that have suggested it can be excellent for recurrent episodes of severe depression, which is what I'd be taking it for. Its just there seems to be a very thin line between therapeutic dose and a toxic dose. It seems you can go toxic quite quickly as well, through becoming dehydrated.

Offline nosda

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 06:33:22 PM »
If you take the guidelined amount set by your GP, you should be ok and also make sure that you are drinking enough fluids.

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
I've been taking lithium for about 9 months now, for the same reason. I'll reply in moredetail written i'm on my computer, but I haven't had any problems with it and my mood has improved side I've been on it.
*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear

Offline Daisy Bell

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:36:48 PM »
I've never taken Lithium, I have taken Lamotrogine though as a mood stabiliser this is supposed to be particulary good for BPD I don't know if that is something you suffer from, the only side efffect I got was being drowsy when I took it so I took it at night. Hope that is helpful.

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »

Hi,

I've been on Lithium for years and it keeps me stable, I have never had toxic levels even though I have had a few stomach bugs in my time on Lithium.

It has kept me stable and not suicidal, I have not been suicidal in about  a year since I was put on it a second time.

It boosts the effect of your anti depressant and its very safe if you take it as specified.

Hash