NSHN Forum Support & On Topic Forums. Some additional boards are viewable to members only > Survivor Room

Aspergers / High functioning autism assessment

<< < (3/9) > >>

Gerard:
Tbh, if your therapist hasn't really justified the reason for exploring it I would question that. There are people diagnosed in their 50s and 60s, so late dx is not unusual as there would have been no resources for those people growing up. Those of us in our 20s or 30s may have slipped through the cracks hence the late dx.

Looking back on my report, I see the psych used Comic Sans font. Ugh. ::) Couple of tests used on me included: ASQ, Diagnostic Analysis of Non-Verbal Ability-2 (DANVA-2), Maladaptive Behaviour Index, Rosenberg Self-esteem Scale, others for depression and anxiety.

Tony Attwood is one of the biggest and well-established names in the field if you want to do some reading. There are some good videos from women on Youtube, also...but if you're pre-diagnosis I would be careful with Googling as you don't want to let those search results play on your mind too much.

Tucan:

--- Quote from: Gerard on October 03, 2016, 07:29:11 PM ---
Tony Attwood is one of the biggest and well-established names in the field if you want to do some reading.

--- End quote ---

I got one of his books. It is good and useful.

Lorien:
She has explained a bit about why she thinks that. It just feels like a reasonably bug thing to do. I mean people have been quite happy to peg everything in the loose ball park of personality disorder, but are really reluctant to be specific about why they think that. I don't really know which is right or if there is some validity in both.

I'm a bit worried that in asking someone the question outright it might give me a lot to try to get my head around.  Gerard, Toucan - did you find the process helpful? One of the main issues with things as they are is that people I encounter when I'm not really ok get really annoyed because I won't look at them and refuse to accept that the absence of crying and emotional explanation doesn't mean there isn't a problem. I don't know if that would be different or not.  The discussion around ASD in general has been quite helpful in me not being so critical of things that are helpful. If the assessment rules out an ASD I'm not 100%  I won't go back to being completely unable to let myself do things that are helpful.  It just seems like quite a big question. I will have a look into the Tony Attwood stuff.

Tucan:
Yes I did find it helpful. It wasn't an easy process but it was a spring board toy recovery. It meant I could access stuff specifically for the aspergers, it helped professionals to adapt to working with me. I also got take more seriously, then again I think the stigma from professionals to people with personality disorders is awful. It also meant that I stopped beating myself up over my autistic traits. I accepted myself more and stop giving me such a hard time. For example I don't look at faces because I am not well, rather than I don't look at faces because I am rude and ignorant.

Lorien:
Thats really helpful Toucan, thanks.  I'm glad it was helpful.  I think maybe I just need to bite the bullet and say that it's ok to make the referral.  I might write it down. Then I will still have a while to look into it and think things through. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version