Author Topic: DOES MENTAL PROBLEMS/S/H STOP YOU FROM HAVING A JOB?PLEASE ADVISE**TRIG S/H**  (Read 6041 times)

Offline bernie

• 18+
  • Usually here
I am in a quandry as to whether I should keep trying to get a job, whether anyone will have me now I've been sacked, and even more so if it comes out that I am suffering from mental problems/acute anxiety/stress.On the one hand I am applying for jobs thinking I have done this before, I can do it again. But note that I am not applying for 'stressful' or management jobs like I have done in the past as I don't think I can cope with it. On the other hand when I am bad I think thank God I haven't got a job how can I cope. What if I had a bad day and had to get away. What if I wanted to S/H or had done and it got noticed, how would I cope? Some people are advising me to go for a job or voluntary work as it would be good for you. Others keep asking me 'Are you really well enough to get a job?' When I know what they are saying is that I am not. My husband however just says you have to get a job, whatever it is whether you like it or not we need the £.One of the worst things is having to admit that you were sacked from your last job, as if that isn't a nail in the coffin for me to get a new job. And thinking when I apply for jobs do I admit that I currently have 'problems' some people say don't let on in any circumstances, others say you should. I'm sorry that this is so long, this is how the questions go on in my head, and I need to write them down to get them clear.
I would be interested to know what other people do and what jobs they do, and is there a 'right kind' of job to go for in these circumstances?...Advice much appreciated BBernie :help:

Offline brighteyes

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • to die would be the next great adventure
I don't think some mh stuff affects it depends on the circumstances, I worked in a shop before I was last in hospital n lost my job now I worry having a section on my mh records will make a difference but no one can discriminate on mh grounds sorry if no help x
behind closed doors, all is not what it seems,
you only have to realise with one look at me.
to see things that you didnt first see,
like the person i once was-i use to be.
behind closed doors is where it will remain,
now her sanity is gone she is no longer sane.

last od 5/11/11

split

I have been told by some that I shouldn't be working, I was sacked for being mentally unfit. I have been told I won't get better so I am trying to get back into work as I refuse to spend the rest of my life sat on my ass sponging off the state.

When I get asked I say I lost my job due to ill health that I have since recovered.

I am doing voluntary work to get a reference which isn't 'sacked on mental health grounds'.

If you want to work then I think being in a job will benefit your mental state whether it be offering you self respect and/or a destraction.

Offline findingmyway

• 18+
  • Usually here
I dont think mh problems necessarily stop you from getting a job.

I work full-time in a primary school as a teaching assistant and have mh issues. My employer has been very supportive, referred me to occupational health (who ok'd me to work) and has made reasonable adjustments to help me cope better at work.

I was already working for my current employer when I developed mh issues, I dont know if that makes any difference.

My employer is aware that I have depression and major anxiety issues (at times was having daily panic attacks at work), although I have never informed them of my sh or diagnosis of BPD as it is not relevant. You could maybe disclose some issues but you dont have to disclose things like sh I dont think?

You could maybe start with looking for a part-time job and see how you manage with that?
Thank you all so much for your support, I really appreciate it.
Please, all keep as safe as you can.

I will be thinking of you xxxxx :hug1: :hug

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, as I think that it depends on the individual and their circumstances.

However, I don't think having mental health issues has to stop you from having a job. There are many people on here who work whilst suffering from mental health issues me included. In fact if mh issues did stop you from having a job about 1/4 of the population couldn't work!

My last employer knew I had a history of depression when she employed me (I'd written on an application I had time off for health reasons and she asked at interview), but I still got the job. When I relapsed she, and occ health were really supportive both during time off (inc time in hosp) and in facilitating a phased return and long term reduction in my hours.

I would say that it is better to be relatively stable when you are starting a job, as it is a stressful experience...but thats not to say you have to be fine, just not in crisis.
It can be a really good motivator and give you purpose and value which can help your mental state.
*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear

Offline bernie

• 18+
  • Usually here
Thanks for all your help. I've just had the info from the Ormskirk counsellor re the moving on/Skem project thing whereby they try to increase a person's self esteem/confidence (I have been told I haven't got any or is very low) and to work towards getting a job/and or volunteering so I think that is the way I will go. Thanks Again Bernie