Author Topic: Swimming for Exercise  (Read 7506 times)

Offline Ruth92

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
Swimming for Exercise
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »
I want to start swimming again to build my fitness levels as right now they are through the floor =P Problem is I'm not comfortable showing my scars. I have a pair of swimming shorts but have heard stories of women being asked to leave for wearing them in public pools... Does anyone have experience with this or are people generally okay with it?
Thanks =]

Offline Savannah

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Swimming for Exercise
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
I've got shorts for swimming but they're short shorts along with a Lycra tshirt type top n I've never had a problem. Hope swimming goes well for you
Last SH - 15/05/10
Last OD - 21/02/10
Last Sui - 04/05/10

Osiris

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »
I don't know why they'd ask somebody to leave for wearing shorts, there's certainly no sensible reason for them to :confused: It seems pretty discriminatory if they do. I would check with the pool beforehand to see if they have such a ridiculous dresscode.

Offline catapult

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:34:59 PM »
Agreed, i dont understand why anyone would be asked to leave for wearing shorts simply because theyre female?! I figure you can wear what you like aslong as its not hazardous or see thru!

Ive just started swimming at the pool at the gym i go to, theres younger ladies that wear shorts & tshirts over their swimsuits for privacy. Youve got a right to wear whatever you want!

An i too was worried about my scars, the worst ones are on my upper legs an theyre still pretty red and obvious, once or twice people have noticed them but its not so bad, ive generally found people are more wrapped up in what theyre doing with themselves. Its more of a bigger issue to us.

I hope you go, and enjoy it. Its fantastic excercise and can be quite relaxing. Go for it  :)
Last cut: 10/03/14
Last OD: 20/12/13
Last purge: 01/03/14
Id rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

NHS Direct 0845 4647   Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text Sams 07725909090

Offline Ruth92

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »
I don't understand either but after hearing stories it made me nervous. I think I'll just go for it and hope for the best =] I've always loved swimming, just not the idea of having to be practically naked to do it =P Now all I have to do is get by butt in gear and go. Thanks for all the comments and advice =]

Offline starry_eyes

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
I work in a leisure centre so can comment from both sides!!

Generally council run pools won't have any strict guidelines on what you wear as long as it doesnt risk your safety.  Some council funded pools or private member pools (especially those used for serious club training) have stricter guidelines to maintain the cleanliness of the water - they don't know that you've put that t shirt/ shorts clean on to come swimming and havent been wearing it outside 5 mins before hand!! I know it sounds ridiculous but the water is difficult to maintain!

I work at an olympic pool - our guidelines are:
-bikini/ tankini
- swimming costume with or without ATTACHED shorts for women
... and shorts no longer than the knee - no denim/ cut offs/ thick material for men
No rash vests/ wetsuits/ t shirts/ shorts/ drag shorts/ bouyancy jackets (unless under 5)
It sounds extreme but if a pool follows these guidelines they should be easily visible for customers before they enter the pool!

I can totally understand where your coming from though - I swim at the pool where i work so not only do i have to display the scars on my legs but its in front of my colleagues - not easy (im not comfortable with them either and some are very red)

I find an easy way to get to the pool edge without showing them is to either take your towel right to the side, quickly slip that off and jump in, or take your own floats and carry them in front of your legs while you get to the pool edge!

Sorry for the rambling, but hope this helps a little :-) xxx
Be kind to one another, because most of us are fighting a hard battle

Bethy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:31:51 AM »
The worst bit is just that first time. After that you will be SO glad you plucked up the courage. I swim despite scars and yes it's been hard but it's also got a lot easier since that first time, and it gives such a massive feeling of satisfaction. I hope you go for it :) And if you're worried about the shorts thing then there'd be no harm just asking at reception about their rules/regulations.

Offline Ruth92

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 12:49:32 PM »
Thanks Starry_Eyes, it does help and it makes sense, I mean, I wouldn't want someone getting into the pool in outside clothes. There are no signs around the leisure centre stating any of the things that you mentioned so maybe there aren't any regulations... As Bethy suggested, I'll ask at reception beforehand just to be sure =] I know it would be a big confidence boost just to show the scars, but nobody knows about the s/h so I couldn't risk it in case I bumped into someone I know. Thanks for all the help =]

Offline Swinks

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »
Let us know how swimming goes!! Good luck xx

Offline Ruth92

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »
Will do, if I ever get there =P