Author Topic: 6years  (Read 3831 times)

Offline goldengate

• First posts
6years
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I was unable to post this in the Positive experiences and Thoughts forum, so thought I'd post it here.  My username on this site used to be Blackice, but I think my account has now been deleted.  I was an active user of this site both to give help and seek help in times of need.  I used to Self Harm and I had tried to 'end it' before, but luckily, fortunately that did not happen.  I remember reading threads about people being 1 week SH free, 1 month SH free.... 5years SH free etc and thinking to myself, oh my god how can they do that?!?!  How can they go that length of time without it?!?!  When will this sad and empty feeling end??  Will it ever end?!?  Now I am the one posting the thread, I am the one 6years SH free.  A lot of things have happened in that space of time that could have triggered me, mostly, one of my best friends dying 4 years ago (still feels like yesterday).  At the time I was in a dark place, but I had been 2 yrs SH free and had sworn to never allow myself, no matter what the challenge, or how difficult life gets to ever allow myself to fall back into that never ending black hole of depression where there feels like there is no escape.  So here I am, thanking all of you for your encouraging messages at my time of need and hopefully this message will encourage some of you going through a rough patch to hold on, that there is hope, that you will shake the crap feeling you have, you just have to make sure to hold on and be strong.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: 6years
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
Hey

Welcome back - if your old account had been inactive for a long time, it may have been deleted or could have been lost when we had the big site crash - I can remember a blackice. The reference section with the Positive Experiences threads wasn't around then, and can't be directly posted into (mods transfer the threads there as an archive for people to read), but this thread will be moved there in due course. It's good that you've been able to make SH a thing of your past, in spite of having events which could easily have pushed you to backwards. So congratualtions, and thanks for letting us know.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:39:41 PM »

:creature:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:  :creature:

Well done you!!!!

Just out of interest did you have any therapy or counselling or treatment to get to that point or did it just happen?

Hash

Offline goldengate

• First posts
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
I did have some help from a counselor in school, but I did not find it a very effective method to help me, if anything it made me worse!  I then had one session with a psychotherapist but all he did was make me a relaxing CD, with reinforcing positive words for me to listen to when I was down, or when I wanted to try and sleep at night.  That was all.  I found the CD a great help!

Although the counselor did not work for me, I do know of other people that it has worked for... there also may have been an issue that the counselor I was seeing just wasn't right for me, and maybe someone else may have helped me more.  In the end I still reached the same goal and I hope that anyone reading this will some day also real their goal too.

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »

THanks for answering my question.

Maybe the less therapy the better! Ive had tons of therapy and tons of inpatient care and neither have helped.

Six years is a really good time to be free and such an achievement.

Hash