Author Topic: Books that you have found to help  (Read 103532 times)

Offline Sue

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Hugs to everyone
Re: Books that you have found to help
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 06:00:39 PM »
Breaking the Chains of Abuse: A Practical Guide. Sue Atkinson

Emmie

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 08:22:25 PM »
Secret Survivors: Uncovering Incest and Its After-Effects in Women by Sue Blume

Thiscould be written about me and my life.  Painful to read but makes so much sense.

Hedgehog

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 10:14:58 PM »
'Growing up a Drunk Girl' by Koren Zailckas; - I was surprised how goodthis book was. Well written, touching and inspiring.

Offline Sue

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Hugs to everyone
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 07:19:24 PM »
Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified. Robert O. Friedel. The author understands and explains the disorder- unlike the members of the medical profession I've come across in the UK.
Too late for Kate- a DVD produced by Joshua Cole for BPD World- just nice for it to be a DVD rather than reading a book for a change.

Offline Sue

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Hugs to everyone
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 01:47:49 PM »
' No One Knows' Joshua Cole 2008.
Very inspirational and highlights how people can be viewed by services and let down. The author has BPD and suffered child abuse. He has set up a charity to support others.

Offline Sue

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Hugs to everyone
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »
'Get me out of here: My recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder' Rachel Reiland. Helped me to understand BPD but 4 years of seeing a therapist 2/3 times a week? I can't believe that after just talking to someone she is 'cured' and doesn't need meds.

Offline icklechick

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2008, 04:24:43 PM »
'Get me out of here: My recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder' Rachel Reiland. Helped me to understand BPD but 4 years of seeing a therapist 2/3 times a week? I can't believe that after just talking to someone she is 'cured' and doesn't need meds.

A lot of people my T sees are "cured" without meds (and don't take as long as 4 years, and don't get 2/3 sessions a week - despite them being labelled too "fragile" for regular psychotherapy) I think it's more about being understood and listened to than meds anyway...I'm definitely making big strides (though admittedly on antidepressants too)
"A dog is the only thing on earth

That loves you more than he loves himself.."

Offline MSCL

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »
The Bell Jar is one of my favourite books. Plath could articulate the most horrible feelings beautifully, it really affects you. I'd also recommend her journals for more of that in an even more personal way.

I couldn't get into Prozac Nation. It didn't bother me that she was "self obsessed", it's an autobiography after all, I just couldn't shake the feeling that she was trying to write like Sylvia Plath.
'You there - I - here.'

lindameik

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »
you can heal your life has helped me a great deal

lindaxxx

Offline Maybe?

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Do we all fall down?
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2008, 11:27:03 PM »
one book i really enjoyed was 'the tenth circle' by jodi picoult. its fictional and i'm not sure why i found it helpful but it made me feel less alone. it was also a very good read.