Author Topic: steri strips/stitches (SH)  (Read 9134 times)

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
steri strips/stitches (SH)
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:32:03 PM »
I cut last night deeper than I have in a long time. It has stopped bleeding (stopped last night) but it is wide open. Is there any point in going to MIU or is it too late for treatment? I'd feel stupid going if there was nothing they could do.

Sorry for stupid question, I just don't know what to do.

Xx
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline Nightowl

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: steri strips/stitches (SH)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
They may be able to steri strip it even if it's too late for stitches, I have been told stitches can't be done after 12 hours due to infection risk.

They may use an iodine dressing, which also helps prevent infection.
When you feel like letting go, hold on.

Courage does not always roar.
Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow".

Maryanne Radanbacher

Last od 22/05/2012
Last sh 10/05/2012
Last drink 14/04/2012

Offline polo

• Haven
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
I have been to MIU 24hrs after harming on multiple occasions at the request of my gp and they have always treated me. Once they did stitch it (it was still bleeding), and other times they have steri-stripped it (though with stronger steris than you buy otc) with or without glue.

Its definatly worth going and getting it treated  :hug1:

Offline lpoolluvly

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
  • new an confused
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:02:09 PM »
Ive sh for a long time now. Yer u can get strips over counter an ye can also buy iodine too keep cuts clean . Be safe o an you can get all first aid stuff ie bandages etc. Chiny upy x
The walkin wounded

Offline closebutnocigar

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • dum spiro spero
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:03:12 AM »
Hey TH  :hug1:

Definitely go and get it seen to sweetie, there are lots of options outside the ideal time frame.

*GRAPHIC*
 I've had one REstitched after a week when the old stitches popped, they just didn't bring the skin all the way together, so that if there's any infection in there, it can get out.  Otherwise, steri's and glue are an option, just depends on the wound, really. Just keep it clean and covered until you can get it seen to.

You're still doing really well in a difficult time, hun. Don't let this take you back.

:hug2:

xx

Offline brighteyes

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • to die would be the next great adventure
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
 :hug1: did u manage to go hun x
behind closed doors, all is not what it seems,
you only have to realise with one look at me.
to see things that you didnt first see,
like the person i once was-i use to be.
behind closed doors is where it will remain,
now her sanity is gone she is no longer sane.

last od 5/11/11

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »
I'm sorry I didn't go  ::-\:

Managed to pull the wound together and used some micropore tape as steris. It is looking ok I think it's healing ok.

I just felt too ashamed and worried to go to MIU.

Thanks for replies though  :hug2:
xx
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline polo

• Haven
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »
Micropore tape does work fairly well as Steri's - so that is a good compromise.  :hug2:

Just make sure you keep an eye on it, and keep it clean and dry, and if it doesnt look like its healing ok then ring your gp/practice nurse or go to a miu/wic then, as although its hard its better that it being infected and untreated :hug1:

Offline Hullaballo

• First posts
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
That's a good idea, if this is something that happens frequently then it may be worth purchasing some steri strips just in case. If this ever happens again, it is probably best if you go to a walk in centre of something.
If it has already started to heal then you can still go, say if you SH at night then go in the morning. When I did that they had to kind of un-heal the wounds a bit before stitching. If it has healed too much for stitches then they'll use steri strips.
 :wabbit: