Author Topic: Coming off of Depakote - To Tell?  (Read 9310 times)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Coming off of Depakote - To Tell?
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:21:15 PM »
I saw my psychiatrist last week and he's agreed to let me come off of the Depakote that I take. He was a little reluctant as neither he nor my social worker have known me off it, so he wasn't sure what effect it's having. He said he'd trust me though and, as long as it's a gradual process and I agree to go back on it should things slip, he's OK with it. Psych is writing to my GP and I'm going to reduce the dose slowly over four months, with GP being in charge of the prescribing.

Social worker is seeing me in about a month and said she'll keep an eye on things, as we should know if the reduction is having any effect by then. I'm also to look out for any warning signs and report them back to SW as soon as possible. Another thing that was mentioned was telling the people around me that I'm coming off of it, and it's that I'm worried about. My Mum would be my person of choice, but I'm in two minds. What if she worries and starts to see signs that aren't really there? What if she worries unnecessarily? I don't want her to be looking out for things which might not occur - it would feel like I was being watched and that would do my head in. At the same time, I'm aware that she might spot things that I miss, and so might pick things up quicker and stop them getting worse earlier.

Not really sure what to do. To tell her or not? ::)
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline greenday

• Usually here
Re: Coming off of Depakote - To Tell?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »
its eseyer to keep it to your self  :hug2:

Offline findingmyway

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
I think its a really difficult decision to make but I would suggest telling your mum hun. Maybe talk through with her too about your worries that she will look too hard and see things that arent there, and that you dont want to be constantly watched. But, like youve said, she may pick up on things that you dont notice, and quicker than your SW would.

And, if you dont tell her hun, is it something that will make you more stressed? Having to try to hide it from her??
Thank you all so much for your support, I really appreciate it.
Please, all keep as safe as you can.

I will be thinking of you xxxxx :hug1: :hug

Offline Bea

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • No day But Today.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »
I think your mum would be the ideal person - she's one of the ones that knows you best of all & will say if she is concerned.

Tell her exactly how you are coming off - with gradual reductions and GP/SW support - hopefully this will reassure her.  As your mum, she has only your best interests at heart, and if she says something you disagree with, I'm sure you would be able to tell her / reassure her!
*jingly turtle*  
Lady Giraffe
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »
Tell her exactly how you are coming off - with gradual reductions and GP/SW support - hopefully this will reassure her.  
+1

Hopefully she will feel not only reassured that you're receiving help to slowly come off of it, but also she will be pleased you're telling her. xx xx :hug1:

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »
its great your getting help good luck  :hug1: :1027:

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 07:24:37 PM »
Thank you. :hug2:

I talked to my Mum about coming off it today and she was great. She had sensible suggestions and was positive about it. She said she'll let me know if she notices anything and that, though she has my social worker's phone number, she'll try and talk to me before phoning her if she feels she needs to.

She also said that she hasn't seen me this well/happy/motivated in years, which was nice to hear. My Nan said the same thing not so long back - it's nice to know that other people see the difference that I feel. :)
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
Well done hun. You're doing really well xx :hug1:

Skye

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »