Author Topic: If there was a cure for autism...  (Read 27397 times)

Offline sk1n1m1n

• First posts
Re: If there was a cure for autism...
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2020, 10:09:16 AM »
Sadly there isn't a cure for autism but you can learn to live with it.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2020, 04:53:47 PM »
Sadly there isn't a cure for autism but you can learn to live with it.

Some of us don't want one. It's integral to who I am.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2021, 01:21:00 PM »
I'm so tired of the constant struggle. Even if people were more accepting that wouldn't change the way my brain is; I'd still struggle with recognising emotions, still have sensory overload that causes physical pain, still feel exhausted from just navigating this planet.. I'm just so f*****g tired of it. I don't belong here on this shitty planet.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2021, 08:49:49 AM »
Fun fact. Most autism research is top heavy with a biology focus, rather than on intervention, support and services. ::)

Amongst other things

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2022, 09:22:40 AM »
Anyone have autistic friends IRL? There's someone I know fairly well, but am not sure how to say I'd like to be friends. She recently said she's not a big fan of text communication, so I mentioned maybe a voice message and said that would be good.

Amongst other things

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2022, 12:50:51 PM »
Anyone have autistic friends IRL? There's someone I know fairly well, but am not sure how to say I'd like to be friends. She recently said she's not a big fan of text communication, so I mentioned maybe a voice message and said that would be good.

I can only go off my own experience, but I'd say that there's probably 2 points to the asking about friendship. Personally I need people to be fairly explicit about things - in romantic relationships for example I don't pick up on cues others might at the beginning. But the other side of that is that all of my friendships ND or otherwise have just sort of evolved without explicitly being stated.
Do you know if they don't like text for a specific reason e.g dyslexia makes it hard to read/ it makes them feel pressured to answer quickly/ it's hard to read intent? Knowing those things would help you adapt your communication even verbally.

I am very much of the opinion everyone in the world should just say exactly what they mean and be direct about it. Do you think you would be able to literally leave a voice message that says what you think including the bits people don't normally say.

I think it's also important to establish for yourself what friendship means and what makes it feel important to ask to be friends. Knowing and summarising that might help with the message. I think most people wouldn't define the beginning of a platonic relationship with a request of friendship, but rather retrospectively define the people they spend time with and like as their friends.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2022, 06:05:18 PM »
We're both on a autism project which is how I know her. Have only met her once and that was before the world changed. She would have move sensory challenges than I do. She finds text draining and emojis meaningless.

Voice note, I'd jot down a few things in advance to remember what to say and then send it on WhatsApp. Maybe sharing some personal stuff (depression, etc). My psychologist would say being more open with people is something I need to do more of.

On another note, anyone else feel like they're constantly trying to 'fix' aspects of their life (work, social, talking to people, life, etc) and find it exhausting?

Amongst other things

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2022, 09:16:08 PM »
I don't know anyone else who's on the spectrum aside from a cousin that I don't see very often. I suspect that one of my current partners might be but obviously I can't be certain on this one. With regard to the second thing;
anyone else feel like they're constantly trying to 'fix' aspects of their life (work, social, talking to people, life, etc) and find it exhausting?

Yes, 100% agree, absolutely get it! I'm half way through DBT and I feel like I'm trying to overhaul my entire mind. Social things are particularly difficult because I'm analysing every phrase I use and I'm concentrating so hard on non verbal things to the point where I miss snippets of conversation, NT's are baffling! When I come hone from any intense social things I need several days to recover. I'd have the same problem at work when I worked in unsuitable environments (noisy/busy) and was also trying to maintain the social side pretty much broke my brain and I ended up losing yet another job. This was pre diagnosis though so I didn't know why I struggled with things so much at the time. And the b***** small talk; I'm sorry if being quiet annoys you, would you like to talk about the weather and state the obvious about how wet it is while stood in the rain? Or did you want to talk about how tired you are and then I'll tell you how tired I am? That kind of small talk bores me and I'd get home so exhausted from it but unable to sleep for some reason. Then I'd go back to work and repeat ad infinitum. Apparently it's ok for people to make me talk but rude if I try to make them shut up!   :fryingpan:

I find basic life tasks pretty exhausting as well, I can have a complete meltdown if my routines or plans get messed with at the last minute. I'd say that because of these issues that being on the spectrum creates such high emotions all day everyday because of anxiety, sensory issues and frustration etc that we're bound to be tired because high emotions do that to everyone. Even NTs find that they are exhausted after something like a funeral because emotions are so intense and draining, we experience intense emotions every day so how can we be anything but tired? The world is mentally, and thus physically, draining.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2022, 09:27:54 AM »
Black and white thinking causes so much interference. It's either A or B, decided in a nano second.

Amongst other things

Offline Natlovbi

• Standard Member
  • First posts
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2022, 04:54:00 PM »
Hi
I'm ASD and have only known for a year. It was the best thing that has happened to me to be honest now that I know. I spent a very long time being stopped from stimming or being told that it was wrong and all mental health related. So now that I have more of an understanding I wouldn't even go for a cure if there was one available. I focus on my strengths and then work on ways are coping with my sensory issues and social understanding as I progress.