Author Topic: first appointment with new psychiatrist tomorrow  (Read 8569 times)

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
first appointment with new psychiatrist tomorrow
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
 :sofa:

It's been so long since I've had a first appointment I have no idea what to expect
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
Re: first appointment with new psychiatrist tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »
 :kissygiraffe:

good luck

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
Thanks

Anyone got any idea what to expect from it? It's been 5/6years since the last time I had a new one
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

sniper

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:18:10 PM »
They will probably ask you a lot of questions to know about you. If you have a diagnosis they may see if it still stands. Try not to worry too much about it. Hope this is good enough. Thinking of you.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:16:26 PM »
Well as long as they don't expect answers to their questions it should be ok...I am not at all good at verbal communication.

Offline is_it_true

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:57:55 PM »
Psychiqtrists are not as scarey as we initially think. Their job is to help you get better. Theyve seen it all and are not there to judge.
think of it as an information gathering....from which they can help problem slove ........starting with meds. I had no diagnosis for first few months after meeting my psych
Let us know how you get on
 :hug2:

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »
I have had 3 psychiatrists before. I don't take medication and I'm not going to. I don't really expect them to judge me I just know that some of them say really weird things that I don't like.

I know that I won't know what it will be like until after and probably not for a while yet. I think that I'm just worried because the last psychiatrist was really helpful - really he made me feel safe and I have been able to do a lot less than I did before because I felt supported by him.  I guess I know how unlikely it is to find that twice

Offline adriana

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 12:25:58 AM »
How did it go?

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 09:04:53 AM »
Good luck for today!! I hope you get on alright
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »
It was a lot better than I expected.
He didn't do any of the things I hate psychiatrists doing which is a good start and he seems like he will adapt the way he does things without it being a big deal. There wasn't any really bad parts, just awkward ones when tried to explain something and he misunderstood, there was also a few weird moments at the end when he said to tell the receptionist to book an appointment for 6weeks... I said I can't do that (I'm not good at talking to people) I don't know. I asked him to write it, so he did which was good, then he told me to tell them to make it a Friday...before realising i wouldn't dobthat either.

I had 3 things in my head that if they happened then it would be ok:

-Keep his prescription pad to himself
-Not insist I look at him or comment on lack of eye contact.
-Not leave huge silences
-Not change everything instantly.

He managed that so, I think I can say it was Ok.